Dec 29, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
Team Canada is going to be a bit shorthanded in the big opening round game against Team USA on Sunday.
The IIHF suspended forward J.C. Lipon for one game thanks to an elbow he delivered to the head of Slovakian forward Tomas Mikus. While Mikus wasn’t hurt on the play, it appeared Lipon targeted his head while delivering a check. In international play, that’s a major no-no and he was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct.
Lipon joins teammate Boone Jenner in the press box for the game against Team USA as Jenner will be serving the final game of his three-game suspension. Jenner’s absence hasn’t stopped Canada from scoring goals so far at Worlds as they’ve potted 15 goals in two games, both regulation wins.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)