Dec 29, 2012, 9:45 AM EST
Team Canada is going to be a bit shorthanded in the big opening round game against Team USA on Sunday.
The IIHF suspended forward J.C. Lipon for one game thanks to an elbow he delivered to the head of Slovakian forward Tomas Mikus. While Mikus wasn’t hurt on the play, it appeared Lipon targeted his head while delivering a check. In international play, that’s a major no-no and he was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct.
Lipon joins teammate Boone Jenner in the press box for the game against Team USA as Jenner will be serving the final game of his three-game suspension. Jenner’s absence hasn’t stopped Canada from scoring goals so far at Worlds as they’ve potted 15 goals in two games, both regulation wins.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)