Dec 29, 2012, 9:45 AM EDT
Team Canada is going to be a bit shorthanded in the big opening round game against Team USA on Sunday.
The IIHF suspended forward J.C. Lipon for one game thanks to an elbow he delivered to the head of Slovakian forward Tomas Mikus. While Mikus wasn’t hurt on the play, it appeared Lipon targeted his head while delivering a check. In international play, that’s a major no-no and he was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct.
Lipon joins teammate Boone Jenner in the press box for the game against Team USA as Jenner will be serving the final game of his three-game suspension. Jenner’s absence hasn’t stopped Canada from scoring goals so far at Worlds as they’ve potted 15 goals in two games, both regulation wins.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)