Dec 29, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
If all goes well in the CBA negotiations — and who knows if it will — the NHL season might start on Jan. 19. In other words, if the information about Briere is correct, then there will be little to no margin for error in his recovery if he is to be available for the Philadelphia Flyers’ theoretical season opener.
Briere has 10 goals and 34 points in 21 games this season in the German league. He recently signed a contract extension that will keep him with Berlin for the remainder of the season, unless the NHL returns.
He underperformed in the 2011-12 campaign with 16 goals and 49 points in 70 contests. However, he was a major contributor in the Philadelphia Flyers’ playoff run.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25