Dec 29, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Russia’s quest to win a gold medal on home soil took another step forward with its 7-0 victory over Germany. After winning three straight games — two of them in regulation — Russia now leads Group B with eight points.
Tampa Bay Lightning 2012 first-round pick Andrei Vasilevski was peppered by Germany, but he held strong. He faced at least 11 shots in each period and made 41 saves before the game was over.
2012 first overall pick Nail Yakupov also came up big for Russia with a goal and an assist.
Russia will concluded the preliminary round with a contest against Team Canada on Monday. If Russia is able to beat them in regulation or overtime, then they will secure the top seed in the division and be able to skip the quarterfinals.
In other WJC News…
Viktor Arvidsson led the way for Sweden with two goals in its 5-1 victory over Latvia. Montreal Canadiens prospect Sebastian Collberg had a goal and an assist in Saturday’s match.
Sweden will play against Finland on Monday and simply needs to win that contest to secure the top seed in Group A.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 6
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)