Dec 29, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
J.T. Brown went straight from his superb sophomore season with the University of Minnesota-Duluth to the Tampa Bay Lightning last season. After inking a two-year deal with the club he had an assist in five games to end the 2011-12 campaign.
Brown might have been able to make the team out of training camp this season, but the lockout cost him that opportunity and he went to AHL Syracuse as a result. Now it looks like he won’t be on the Lightning’s opening day roster even if the season is saved.
Syracuse coach Jon Cooper predicted that Brown had suffered a long-term injury after absorbing a hit from Norfolk’s Mat Clark during Friday’s contest, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard.
Now the team is reporting that he has a broken collarbone and needs surgery. Syracuse and the Lightning don’t have a timetable for his recovery at this time.
Brown has six goals and 17 points in 26 games this season.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 63
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 92
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (93)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)