Dec 29, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
Sure, they were at each others’ throats just months ago in a rage-filled and goal-soaked playoff series, but apparently the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers organizations can get along every now and then. At least when it comes to growing the sport in their state.
The teams announced that they’ll work together to form “Team Pennsylvania 2003*,” which will send top 10-year old hockey players to the 2013 Brick International Super Novice Tournament in Edmonton. That tournament takes place from July 1-7 next year.
Penguins president and CEO David Morehouse showed enthusiasm for what he called “The Little League World Series for 10-year old hockey players,” but he also stated that it won’t extinguish the NHL rivalry in any way.
“Next time we play Philadelphia we’ll try to beat them as badly as before and they’ll try to beat us as badly as before, but off the ice this kind of collaboration is something the League will benefit from,” Morehouse said. “It makes perfect sense in almost the antithesis kind of way. Of course we’re bitter rivals, but we’re very passionate about hockey, so who better to team up with than people as passionate about hockey as you are.”
It’s sort of like that one X-Men movie where Magneto and Professor X team up, only with young hockey players instead of Kevin Bacon.
* – Named after the birth year of the youth hockey players.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)