Dec 29, 2012, 10:55 PM EST
Sure, they were at each others’ throats just months ago in a rage-filled and goal-soaked playoff series, but apparently the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers organizations can get along every now and then. At least when it comes to growing the sport in their state.
The teams announced that they’ll work together to form “Team Pennsylvania 2003*,” which will send top 10-year old hockey players to the 2013 Brick International Super Novice Tournament in Edmonton. That tournament takes place from July 1-7 next year.
Penguins president and CEO David Morehouse showed enthusiasm for what he called “The Little League World Series for 10-year old hockey players,” but he also stated that it won’t extinguish the NHL rivalry in any way.
“Next time we play Philadelphia we’ll try to beat them as badly as before and they’ll try to beat us as badly as before, but off the ice this kind of collaboration is something the League will benefit from,” Morehouse said. “It makes perfect sense in almost the antithesis kind of way. Of course we’re bitter rivals, but we’re very passionate about hockey, so who better to team up with than people as passionate about hockey as you are.”
It’s sort of like that one X-Men movie where Magneto and Professor X team up, only with young hockey players instead of Kevin Bacon.
* – Named after the birth year of the youth hockey players.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)