Dec 29, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
Sure, they were at each others’ throats just months ago in a rage-filled and goal-soaked playoff series, but apparently the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers organizations can get along every now and then. At least when it comes to growing the sport in their state.
The teams announced that they’ll work together to form “Team Pennsylvania 2003*,” which will send top 10-year old hockey players to the 2013 Brick International Super Novice Tournament in Edmonton. That tournament takes place from July 1-7 next year.
Penguins president and CEO David Morehouse showed enthusiasm for what he called “The Little League World Series for 10-year old hockey players,” but he also stated that it won’t extinguish the NHL rivalry in any way.
“Next time we play Philadelphia we’ll try to beat them as badly as before and they’ll try to beat us as badly as before, but off the ice this kind of collaboration is something the League will benefit from,” Morehouse said. “It makes perfect sense in almost the antithesis kind of way. Of course we’re bitter rivals, but we’re very passionate about hockey, so who better to team up with than people as passionate about hockey as you are.”
It’s sort of like that one X-Men movie where Magneto and Professor X team up, only with young hockey players instead of Kevin Bacon.
* – Named after the birth year of the youth hockey players.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games