Dec 29, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Boston College head coach Jerry York broke the NCAA’s ice hockey wins record with his 925th victory on Saturday after BC’s topped Alabama-Huntsville 5-2, as the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo reports.
He broke a tie with former Michigan State head coach Ron Mason to take the record. That win pushed first-ranked BC’s record to 12-2-1 this season, while York’s overall coaching record is 925-559-95.
York did his best to be humble about the impressive achievement.
“Coaches coach. We play to win trophies. Despite all the hoopla, it never really entered my mind,” York said. “We always talk in our program, there’s no personal goals. We’re not trying to become Hobey Baker [winners] and All-Americans.”
“Golfers, they want to win a Masters … It’s not what we’re about with the Eagles. I’ve always been about the team. I haven’t really sought individual goals.”
York’s teams have managed to hit some serious collective goals, as well. His teams won five national championships overall, with four of them coming during his time with BC.
(He also coached at Clarkson and Bowling Green.)
Considering the fact that he’s been a head coach since 1972, it’s natural to wonder if he’s near the end, yet York seems content to continue coaching.
“I feel good, I feel healthy, I enjoy what I do,” York said. “As long as BC feels I’ve done a good job, I’ll keep on moving.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)