Dec 29, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Boston College head coach Jerry York broke the NCAA’s ice hockey wins record with his 925th victory on Saturday after BC’s topped Alabama-Huntsville 5-2, as the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo reports.
He broke a tie with former Michigan State head coach Ron Mason to take the record. That win pushed first-ranked BC’s record to 12-2-1 this season, while York’s overall coaching record is 925-559-95.
York did his best to be humble about the impressive achievement.
“Coaches coach. We play to win trophies. Despite all the hoopla, it never really entered my mind,” York said. “We always talk in our program, there’s no personal goals. We’re not trying to become Hobey Baker [winners] and All-Americans.”
“Golfers, they want to win a Masters … It’s not what we’re about with the Eagles. I’ve always been about the team. I haven’t really sought individual goals.”
York’s teams have managed to hit some serious collective goals, as well. His teams won five national championships overall, with four of them coming during his time with BC.
(He also coached at Clarkson and Bowling Green.)
Considering the fact that he’s been a head coach since 1972, it’s natural to wonder if he’s near the end, yet York seems content to continue coaching.
“I feel good, I feel healthy, I enjoy what I do,” York said. “As long as BC feels I’ve done a good job, I’ll keep on moving.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)