Dec 29, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Boston College head coach Jerry York broke the NCAA’s ice hockey wins record with his 925th victory on Saturday after BC’s topped Alabama-Huntsville 5-2, as the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo reports.
He broke a tie with former Michigan State head coach Ron Mason to take the record. That win pushed first-ranked BC’s record to 12-2-1 this season, while York’s overall coaching record is 925-559-95.
York did his best to be humble about the impressive achievement.
“Coaches coach. We play to win trophies. Despite all the hoopla, it never really entered my mind,” York said. “We always talk in our program, there’s no personal goals. We’re not trying to become Hobey Baker [winners] and All-Americans.”
“Golfers, they want to win a Masters … It’s not what we’re about with the Eagles. I’ve always been about the team. I haven’t really sought individual goals.”
York’s teams have managed to hit some serious collective goals, as well. His teams won five national championships overall, with four of them coming during his time with BC.
(He also coached at Clarkson and Bowling Green.)
Considering the fact that he’s been a head coach since 1972, it’s natural to wonder if he’s near the end, yet York seems content to continue coaching.
“I feel good, I feel healthy, I enjoy what I do,” York said. “As long as BC feels I’ve done a good job, I’ll keep on moving.”
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)