Dec 29, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Boston College head coach Jerry York broke the NCAA’s ice hockey wins record with his 925th victory on Saturday after BC’s topped Alabama-Huntsville 5-2, as the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo reports.
He broke a tie with former Michigan State head coach Ron Mason to take the record. That win pushed first-ranked BC’s record to 12-2-1 this season, while York’s overall coaching record is 925-559-95.
York did his best to be humble about the impressive achievement.
“Coaches coach. We play to win trophies. Despite all the hoopla, it never really entered my mind,” York said. “We always talk in our program, there’s no personal goals. We’re not trying to become Hobey Baker [winners] and All-Americans.”
“Golfers, they want to win a Masters … It’s not what we’re about with the Eagles. I’ve always been about the team. I haven’t really sought individual goals.”
York’s teams have managed to hit some serious collective goals, as well. His teams won five national championships overall, with four of them coming during his time with BC.
(He also coached at Clarkson and Bowling Green.)
Considering the fact that he’s been a head coach since 1972, it’s natural to wonder if he’s near the end, yet York seems content to continue coaching.
“I feel good, I feel healthy, I enjoy what I do,” York said. “As long as BC feels I’ve done a good job, I’ll keep on moving.”
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)