Dec 29, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Boston College head coach Jerry York broke the NCAA’s ice hockey wins record with his 925th victory on Saturday after BC’s topped Alabama-Huntsville 5-2, as the Minnesota Tribune’s Michael Russo reports.
He broke a tie with former Michigan State head coach Ron Mason to take the record. That win pushed first-ranked BC’s record to 12-2-1 this season, while York’s overall coaching record is 925-559-95.
York did his best to be humble about the impressive achievement.
“Coaches coach. We play to win trophies. Despite all the hoopla, it never really entered my mind,” York said. “We always talk in our program, there’s no personal goals. We’re not trying to become Hobey Baker [winners] and All-Americans.”
“Golfers, they want to win a Masters … It’s not what we’re about with the Eagles. I’ve always been about the team. I haven’t really sought individual goals.”
York’s teams have managed to hit some serious collective goals, as well. His teams won five national championships overall, with four of them coming during his time with BC.
(He also coached at Clarkson and Bowling Green.)
Considering the fact that he’s been a head coach since 1972, it’s natural to wonder if he’s near the end, yet York seems content to continue coaching.
“I feel good, I feel healthy, I enjoy what I do,” York said. “As long as BC feels I’ve done a good job, I’ll keep on moving.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)