Dec 28, 2012, 9:50 AM EST
It took an unusually long amount of time, but Team USA’s World Junior roster is finally complete.
NHL Network correspondent Rob Simpson broke news early this morning that physical defenseman Patrick Sieloff (2012 Flames second-round pick) made the cut. Meanwhile, fellow blue liner and offensive weapon Matt Grzelcyk (2012 Bruins third-round pick) was sent home to rejoin his Boston University squad.
Curiously enough, it was BU coach Jack Parker who criticized how Team USA handled the awkward process telling Boston Hockey Blog they were “taking advantage of the system.” Parker also added, “I think they’ve done him and us a disservice. They should have made that decision before they left Helsinki.” Grzelcyk won’t be able to play this weekend for the Terriers against Denver. Had the decision been made sooner, he’d likely be in the lineup.
As for what took so long to make the call, there were health questions about defenseman Connor Murphy as to whether he’d be able to play or not. When he got the call to play in yesterday’s game against Germany, all doubts were settled, meanwhile Sieloff and Grzelcyk were still in limbo.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 1
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)