Dec 28, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
It took an unusually long amount of time, but Team USA’s World Junior roster is finally complete.
NHL Network correspondent Rob Simpson broke news early this morning that physical defenseman Patrick Sieloff (2012 Flames second-round pick) made the cut. Meanwhile, fellow blue liner and offensive weapon Matt Grzelcyk (2012 Bruins third-round pick) was sent home to rejoin his Boston University squad.
Curiously enough, it was BU coach Jack Parker who criticized how Team USA handled the awkward process telling Boston Hockey Blog they were “taking advantage of the system.” Parker also added, “I think they’ve done him and us a disservice. They should have made that decision before they left Helsinki.” Grzelcyk won’t be able to play this weekend for the Terriers against Denver. Had the decision been made sooner, he’d likely be in the lineup.
As for what took so long to make the call, there were health questions about defenseman Connor Murphy as to whether he’d be able to play or not. When he got the call to play in yesterday’s game against Germany, all doubts were settled, meanwhile Sieloff and Grzelcyk were still in limbo.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)