Dec 28, 2012, 9:50 AM EDT
It took an unusually long amount of time, but Team USA’s World Junior roster is finally complete.
NHL Network correspondent Rob Simpson broke news early this morning that physical defenseman Patrick Sieloff (2012 Flames second-round pick) made the cut. Meanwhile, fellow blue liner and offensive weapon Matt Grzelcyk (2012 Bruins third-round pick) was sent home to rejoin his Boston University squad.
Curiously enough, it was BU coach Jack Parker who criticized how Team USA handled the awkward process telling Boston Hockey Blog they were “taking advantage of the system.” Parker also added, “I think they’ve done him and us a disservice. They should have made that decision before they left Helsinki.” Grzelcyk won’t be able to play this weekend for the Terriers against Denver. Had the decision been made sooner, he’d likely be in the lineup.
As for what took so long to make the call, there were health questions about defenseman Connor Murphy as to whether he’d be able to play or not. When he got the call to play in yesterday’s game against Germany, all doubts were settled, meanwhile Sieloff and Grzelcyk were still in limbo.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 0
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)