Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EDT
It looks like there might finally be some new life in the CBA negotiations. The NHL has sent the union a new proposal according to ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie and, originally, Eklund of Hockey Buzz.
Perhaps the biggest news is that the NHL is now willing to allow for contracts to be a maximum of six years under normal circumstances and seven if a team is re-signing one of its players. That’s up from the NHL’s previous demand of five-year term limits, which deputy commissioner Bill Daly once called “the hill we’ll die on.”
Here are some of the other main points:
— The NHL is now willing to allow a variance of 10% in contracts, up from its previous offer of 5%.
— $300 million in Make Whole or, as NHLPA boss Donald Fehr prefers to call it, “transition payments” is still on the table.
— The salary cap for 2013-14 would be $60 million.
— Each team would be allowed to buy out one contract prior to 2013-14 without it impacting the salary cap. However, the money would still come out of the players’ share of hockey-related revenues.
— The proposed CBA is still a 10-year deal and an “extremely detailed proposal,” according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune’s Michael Russo.
It’s worth noting that Daly would not confirm this offer when asked by LeBrun, although an NHL player has been cited as a source.
There’s also no negotiating session scheduled yet and the NHLPA had yet to make an official statement on the matter.
Update: Courtesy ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, here are the full details of the NHL offer.
Jul 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
He was fired by Toronto back in April.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Doug Armstrong dipped into the free agency pool Thursday evening for some depth signings.
Jul 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
They’re two-way contracts worth $650,000.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
He’s looking forward to playing with Ovechkin and Backstrom in Washington.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
They’ve also inked UFA Jordan Caron.
Jul 2, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s a one-year, two-way deal.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Washington continues to load up.
Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
There’s no “timetables for next steps,” according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The 27-year-old is looking forward to a fresh start in Pittsburgh.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
Acquired from Toronto at last year’s trade deadline.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Leagues will continue to respect each other’s contracts. But that’s it.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:52 PM EDT
Pleads no contest to misdemeanor count of corporal injury to a spouse.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:11 PM EDT
Boughner coached against DeBoer in the OHL, Hedberg played for him in New Jersey.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:02 PM EDT
The Mike Gillis era is just a memory now.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Former Hart Trophy winner announced his retirement on Thursday.
Jul 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh? Florida? New Jersey? KHL?
Jul 2, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
“At some point Justin became more affordable to us, and we started to lean his way.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
“At the end of the day, nobody wants to get traded two times. But it’s a learning curve.”
Jul 2, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
But reports suggest Edmonton, Columbus and Philly are interested.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT
24-year-old has appeared in 220 NHL contests, all with Nashville.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)