Dec 28, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
It looks like there might finally be some new life in the CBA negotiations. The NHL has sent the union a new proposal according to ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun, RDS’ Renaud Lavoie and, originally, Eklund of Hockey Buzz.
Perhaps the biggest news is that the NHL is now willing to allow for contracts to be a maximum of six years under normal circumstances and seven if a team is re-signing one of its players. That’s up from the NHL’s previous demand of five-year term limits, which deputy commissioner Bill Daly once called “the hill we’ll die on.”
Here are some of the other main points:
– The NHL is now willing to allow a variance of 10% in contracts, up from its previous offer of 5%.
– $300 million in Make Whole or, as NHLPA boss Donald Fehr prefers to call it, “transition payments” is still on the table.
– The salary cap for 2013-14 would be $60 million.
– Each team would be allowed to buy out one contract prior to 2013-14 without it impacting the salary cap. However, the money would still come out of the players’ share of hockey-related revenues.
– The proposed CBA is still a 10-year deal and an “extremely detailed proposal,” according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune’s Michael Russo.
It’s worth noting that Daly would not confirm this offer when asked by LeBrun, although an NHL player has been cited as a source.
There’s also no negotiating session scheduled yet and the NHLPA had yet to make an official statement on the matter.
Update: Courtesy ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, here are the full details of the NHL offer.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Injury is “coming along slower than we anticipated,” according to coach Noel.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
“This is not a full body check in which contact to the head was unavoidable,” ruled Brendan Shanahan.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EST
Chicago is once again leading the NHL in attendance.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:19 PM EST
Tough call for Glen Sather.
Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
All the latest from the crease…
Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
37.1 per game, to be exact.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EST
Veteran winger might require surgery.
The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more!
Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
Also, has John Tortorella really changed?
Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
He’ll undergo tests when the team returns to Detroit.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
No word yet if permission has been granted.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Former Devils alternate captain speaks his mind.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Leaves the AHL as its leading scorer.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:28 AM EST
Morgan Rielly to follow?
Dec 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
It’s been quite the goalie carousel since 2010.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
Minnesota has just five wins from 14 games away from Xcel this season.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
He’d be a huge get for Team Sweden.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
His job might be safe despite the team’s struggles.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:43 AM EST
Both players might be suspended for their actions last night.
Dec 11, 2013, 9:13 AM EST
This is his third suspension.
Dec 11, 2013, 8:40 AM EST
These two teams have gone on very different paths since the 2010 Stanley Cup Final.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 5
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 5
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 20
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 10
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)