Dec 28, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
In what could be seen as an effort to improve the working relationship between players and owners (which isn’t so hot right now), the latest CBA proposal — obtained on Friday by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun — includes a section dedicated to creating and improving NHL/NHLPA joint committees.
Here’s a rundown of what’s being proposed.
Owner-Player Relations Committee: Pretty self-explanatory. The league intends it to have “broad-based participation” from both owners and players, to “foster and establish better understanding and stronger working relationships.”
Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee: Group will be in charge of overseeing the operation of sharing revenue, which is rather important given, y’know, the lockout.
Joint Health and Safety Committee: Again, pretty self-explanatory.
NHL/NHLPA Equipment Working Group: Interesting idea, and entirely separate from joint health and safety — this group will be designed to “study, promulgate and enforce minimum standards for protective equipment utilized by NHL Players.”
It’ll be curious to see how this group works with the NHL’s Hockey Operations department, including goalie equipment guru Kay Whitmore, who prior to the 2010-11 season made significant changes to goaltender equipment regulations:
Player/Club Competition Committee: This committee was established under the last CBA and is responsible for “making recommendations about rules and related issues to the NHL Board of Governors and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) Executive Board.”
Players and owners are represented by equal voting members, with the NHL proposing “greater consultation and interaction with the NHL General Managers’ Committee.”
Current GMs on the committee include Dallas’ Joe Nieuwendyk, Nashville’s David Poile, Carolina’s Jim Rutherford and Tampa Bay’s Steve Yzerman.
NHL/NHLPA Joint Owner-Player Broadcasting/Marketing Committee: Another group born out of the last CBA. The NHL is asking for a reconstitution of this committee to “consult and establish policy on League broadcasting and marketing matters, as well as other League business functions and initiatives.”
NHL/NHLPA International Committee: Again, another group established under the last CBA. It was initially created to deal with things like the NHL Permiere games, IIHF World Championship participation, etc.
Under the new NHL proposal, the committee’s scope will extend to “identifying, creating, exploiting and managing new international business opportunities,” and having “an advisory role in planning and executing NHL events conducted outside of North America.
Perhaps most importantly, the league proposes the NHL and NHLPA to “participate as 50-50 partners” on the International Committee.
– No, there isn’t any mention of a Party Planning Committee. Players and owners will be responsible for their own ice cream cakes.
– Yes, this post did set a record for most uses of the word “committee.”
Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It was clicking on full cylinders there.”
Oct 1, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
One of them was rusty.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.
Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”
Oct 1, 2014, 7:55 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 10
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)