Dec 28, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
In what could be seen as an effort to improve the working relationship between players and owners (which isn’t so hot right now), the latest CBA proposal — obtained on Friday by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun — includes a section dedicated to creating and improving NHL/NHLPA joint committees.
Here’s a rundown of what’s being proposed.
Owner-Player Relations Committee: Pretty self-explanatory. The league intends it to have “broad-based participation” from both owners and players, to “foster and establish better understanding and stronger working relationships.”
Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee: Group will be in charge of overseeing the operation of sharing revenue, which is rather important given, y’know, the lockout.
Joint Health and Safety Committee: Again, pretty self-explanatory.
NHL/NHLPA Equipment Working Group: Interesting idea, and entirely separate from joint health and safety — this group will be designed to “study, promulgate and enforce minimum standards for protective equipment utilized by NHL Players.”
It’ll be curious to see how this group works with the NHL’s Hockey Operations department, including goalie equipment guru Kay Whitmore, who prior to the 2010-11 season made significant changes to goaltender equipment regulations:
Player/Club Competition Committee: This committee was established under the last CBA and is responsible for “making recommendations about rules and related issues to the NHL Board of Governors and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) Executive Board.”
Players and owners are represented by equal voting members, with the NHL proposing “greater consultation and interaction with the NHL General Managers’ Committee.”
Current GMs on the committee include Dallas’ Joe Nieuwendyk, Nashville’s David Poile, Carolina’s Jim Rutherford and Tampa Bay’s Steve Yzerman.
NHL/NHLPA Joint Owner-Player Broadcasting/Marketing Committee: Another group born out of the last CBA. The NHL is asking for a reconstitution of this committee to “consult and establish policy on League broadcasting and marketing matters, as well as other League business functions and initiatives.”
NHL/NHLPA International Committee: Again, another group established under the last CBA. It was initially created to deal with things like the NHL Permiere games, IIHF World Championship participation, etc.
Under the new NHL proposal, the committee’s scope will extend to “identifying, creating, exploiting and managing new international business opportunities,” and having “an advisory role in planning and executing NHL events conducted outside of North America.
Perhaps most importantly, the league proposes the NHL and NHLPA to “participate as 50-50 partners” on the International Committee.
– No, there isn’t any mention of a Party Planning Committee. Players and owners will be responsible for their own ice cream cakes.
– Yes, this post did set a record for most uses of the word “committee.”
Mar 12, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Austrian speedster hurt in Monday’s comeback win over Vancouver.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
Montreal’s beaten Boston five straight times.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The full interview airs on Costas Tonight this Thursday, Mar. 13 at 12:30 a.m. ET on NBCSN.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
i.e., do Pierre Karl Peladeau’s political aspirations hurt the chances of the Nordiques being reborn in Quebec City?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
“I am not going to comment on specific things about John. It is unfair to him.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
How has Colorado done it?
Mar 12, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Now the man in charge of Southampton F.C.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
The feat comes during one of the toughest stretches of his career, though.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
He was injured against Florida on Sunday.
Mar 12, 2014, 9:28 AM EDT
The Habs have five straight wins against Boston.
Mar 12, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day ahead.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:21 AM EDT
He received a minor penalty for the hit.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 AM EDT
JVR seems OK, though.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
Dallas moves into the second wild card spot for now.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks aren’t happy about their game, either.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT
And an interesting one overall for the East.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Another memorable save for the icon.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
That’s eight in a row for Pittsburgh between these two teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The contest featured his former team the Saginaw Spirit.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 20
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 5
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)