Dec 28, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
In what could be seen as an effort to improve the working relationship between players and owners (which isn’t so hot right now), the latest CBA proposal — obtained on Friday by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun — includes a section dedicated to creating and improving NHL/NHLPA joint committees.
Here’s a rundown of what’s being proposed.
Owner-Player Relations Committee: Pretty self-explanatory. The league intends it to have “broad-based participation” from both owners and players, to “foster and establish better understanding and stronger working relationships.”
Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee: Group will be in charge of overseeing the operation of sharing revenue, which is rather important given, y’know, the lockout.
Joint Health and Safety Committee: Again, pretty self-explanatory.
NHL/NHLPA Equipment Working Group: Interesting idea, and entirely separate from joint health and safety — this group will be designed to “study, promulgate and enforce minimum standards for protective equipment utilized by NHL Players.”
It’ll be curious to see how this group works with the NHL’s Hockey Operations department, including goalie equipment guru Kay Whitmore, who prior to the 2010-11 season made significant changes to goaltender equipment regulations:
Player/Club Competition Committee: This committee was established under the last CBA and is responsible for “making recommendations about rules and related issues to the NHL Board of Governors and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) Executive Board.”
Players and owners are represented by equal voting members, with the NHL proposing “greater consultation and interaction with the NHL General Managers’ Committee.”
Current GMs on the committee include Dallas’ Joe Nieuwendyk, Nashville’s David Poile, Carolina’s Jim Rutherford and Tampa Bay’s Steve Yzerman.
NHL/NHLPA Joint Owner-Player Broadcasting/Marketing Committee: Another group born out of the last CBA. The NHL is asking for a reconstitution of this committee to “consult and establish policy on League broadcasting and marketing matters, as well as other League business functions and initiatives.”
NHL/NHLPA International Committee: Again, another group established under the last CBA. It was initially created to deal with things like the NHL Permiere games, IIHF World Championship participation, etc.
Under the new NHL proposal, the committee’s scope will extend to “identifying, creating, exploiting and managing new international business opportunities,” and having “an advisory role in planning and executing NHL events conducted outside of North America.
Perhaps most importantly, the league proposes the NHL and NHLPA to “participate as 50-50 partners” on the International Committee.
– No, there isn’t any mention of a Party Planning Committee. Players and owners will be responsible for their own ice cream cakes.
– Yes, this post did set a record for most uses of the word “committee.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)