Dec 28, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
In what could be seen as an effort to improve the working relationship between players and owners (which isn’t so hot right now), the latest CBA proposal — obtained on Friday by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun — includes a section dedicated to creating and improving NHL/NHLPA joint committees.
Here’s a rundown of what’s being proposed.
Owner-Player Relations Committee: Pretty self-explanatory. The league intends it to have “broad-based participation” from both owners and players, to “foster and establish better understanding and stronger working relationships.”
Revenue Sharing Oversight Committee: Group will be in charge of overseeing the operation of sharing revenue, which is rather important given, y’know, the lockout.
Joint Health and Safety Committee: Again, pretty self-explanatory.
NHL/NHLPA Equipment Working Group: Interesting idea, and entirely separate from joint health and safety — this group will be designed to “study, promulgate and enforce minimum standards for protective equipment utilized by NHL Players.”
It’ll be curious to see how this group works with the NHL’s Hockey Operations department, including goalie equipment guru Kay Whitmore, who prior to the 2010-11 season made significant changes to goaltender equipment regulations:
Player/Club Competition Committee: This committee was established under the last CBA and is responsible for “making recommendations about rules and related issues to the NHL Board of Governors and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) Executive Board.”
Players and owners are represented by equal voting members, with the NHL proposing “greater consultation and interaction with the NHL General Managers’ Committee.”
Current GMs on the committee include Dallas’ Joe Nieuwendyk, Nashville’s David Poile, Carolina’s Jim Rutherford and Tampa Bay’s Steve Yzerman.
NHL/NHLPA Joint Owner-Player Broadcasting/Marketing Committee: Another group born out of the last CBA. The NHL is asking for a reconstitution of this committee to “consult and establish policy on League broadcasting and marketing matters, as well as other League business functions and initiatives.”
NHL/NHLPA International Committee: Again, another group established under the last CBA. It was initially created to deal with things like the NHL Permiere games, IIHF World Championship participation, etc.
Under the new NHL proposal, the committee’s scope will extend to “identifying, creating, exploiting and managing new international business opportunities,” and having “an advisory role in planning and executing NHL events conducted outside of North America.
Perhaps most importantly, the league proposes the NHL and NHLPA to “participate as 50-50 partners” on the International Committee.
– No, there isn’t any mention of a Party Planning Committee. Players and owners will be responsible for their own ice cream cakes.
– Yes, this post did set a record for most uses of the word “committee.”
May 22, 2013, 7:17 PM EDT
Beau Bennett and Jussi Jokinen have been inserted into the lineup.
May 22, 2013, 7:04 PM EDT
Two swift playoff exits sunk the Canucks’ coach.
May 22, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
His career has gone downhill since being part of the Hodgson trade.
May 22, 2013, 5:53 PM EDT
Vancouver’s Alain Vigneault joins the fray.
May 22, 2013, 5:18 PM EDT
“As long as they keep winning here, that just gives me a better chance for a return with every win.”
May 22, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
“Will we look at them? Absolutely.”
May 22, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s power play is just 1-for-12 in its past two games.
May 22, 2013, 3:48 PM EDT
Vancouver cleans house.
May 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
Decent goaltending depth in Anaheim at the moment.
May 22, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Click to read two good reasons.
May 22, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
This should make the Keith Ballard buyout easier to stomach.
May 22, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Go have your say.
May 22, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
He’s expected to be a top-5 pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
May 22, 2013, 11:59 AM EDT
Club says he suffered no injuries.
May 22, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
His contract with the Coyotes is up June 30.
May 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Bold, but familiar move from Ottawa head coach Paul MacLean.
May 22, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Veteran defenseman spent 15 years in the league.
May 22, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
Pending RFA not expected to re-sign with Jets.
May 22, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
If they were, it would add fuel to the speculation that the team might relocate to Quebec City.
May 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
He doesn’t have a goal in eight postseason contests.
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 2
- Here’s an (updated) list of available NHL coaching candidates 4
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 24
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 86
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (87)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months