Dec 28, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
After Slovakia took Russia all the way to overtime on Wednesday, it was clear this wasn’t a team to be taken lightly.
Slovakia reinforced that notion today against Canada, even though it ultimately lost, 6-3.
Marko Dano found the back of the net early in the contest to make it 1-0 for the Slovaks.
Things then went bad to worse for Canada when J.C. Lipon was ejected from the game for hitting Tomas Mikus in the head. Mikus got revenge by extending Slovakia’s lead to 2-0 during the ensuing power play.
Ryan Strome managed to get Canada its first goal at 2:16 of the second period, but any momentum that created was squandered when Anthony Camara got a five-minute major and game misconduct for charging Slovakia’s Patrik Luza. Once again Slovakia made Canada pay by regaining its two-goal lead before Camara’s major expired.
That proved to be the high point of the game for Slovakia. Barely a minute passed before Morgan Rielly responded for Canada and Slovakia unraveled. Canada went on to earn a 6-3 victory.
After winning two games in a row, Canada will face the United States on Sunday. They will then wrap up the preliminary round with a Dec. 31 contest against Russia.
In other WJC News…
– Los Angeles Kings’ prospect Tomas Hyka netted the game-winning goal in the Czech Republic’s 3-1 win over Finland. That was a critical victory for the Czech Republic after its loss to Sweden on Wednesday.
– Sweden earned a 3-2 shootout win against Switzerland. Teams only earn two points for an overtime victory, down from three points in a regulation win. Still, Sweden is currently leading Group A with five points in two games.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“You definitely want to be physical on him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Game 1 gets underway at Scottrade at 8 p.m. ET (on NBCSN).
Apr 17, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Classic rivalry will get underway tonight at Scottrade.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Even though they’re not really underdogs.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Apr 17, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Both teams bounced back from bad starts to make the playoffs.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT
Matt Duchene is already on the shelf.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Apr 17, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
It’s a motivation thing.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
He had eight points in 19 games with New York.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
New York, St. Louis, Denver, and San Jose is where it’s at tonight.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
A Tyler Seguin bullet, no less.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:08 AM EDT
A tale of two games, really.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
“We did it time and time again.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:26 AM EDT
“It’s one that got by him.”
Apr 17, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT
The trio was big in Wednesday’s Game 1 victory over the Jackets.
Apr 16, 2014, 11:23 PM EDT
It’s bad enough to inspire Jon Cooper’s pity, though.
Apr 16, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
“We aren’t here just to go to school. We’re here to win.”
Apr 16, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
After all that star power in regulation …
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
Pittsburgh scores three unanswered goals to win.
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (59)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)