Dec 28, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
After Slovakia took Russia all the way to overtime on Wednesday, it was clear this wasn’t a team to be taken lightly.
Slovakia reinforced that notion today against Canada, even though it ultimately lost, 6-3.
Marko Dano found the back of the net early in the contest to make it 1-0 for the Slovaks.
Things then went bad to worse for Canada when J.C. Lipon was ejected from the game for hitting Tomas Mikus in the head. Mikus got revenge by extending Slovakia’s lead to 2-0 during the ensuing power play.
Ryan Strome managed to get Canada its first goal at 2:16 of the second period, but any momentum that created was squandered when Anthony Camara got a five-minute major and game misconduct for charging Slovakia’s Patrik Luza. Once again Slovakia made Canada pay by regaining its two-goal lead before Camara’s major expired.
That proved to be the high point of the game for Slovakia. Barely a minute passed before Morgan Rielly responded for Canada and Slovakia unraveled. Canada went on to earn a 6-3 victory.
After winning two games in a row, Canada will face the United States on Sunday. They will then wrap up the preliminary round with a Dec. 31 contest against Russia.
In other WJC News…
— Los Angeles Kings’ prospect Tomas Hyka netted the game-winning goal in the Czech Republic’s 3-1 win over Finland. That was a critical victory for the Czech Republic after its loss to Sweden on Wednesday.
— Sweden earned a 3-2 shootout win against Switzerland. Teams only earn two points for an overtime victory, down from three points in a regulation win. Still, Sweden is currently leading Group A with five points in two games.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The 24-year-old gives agreed to an entry-level deal.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Will he live up to his next contract?
Jul 29, 2015, 6:27 PM EDT
“It really wasn’t about Dainius himself.”
Jul 29, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
His collection can be had for $5.7 million.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)