Dec 28, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
After Slovakia took Russia all the way to overtime on Wednesday, it was clear this wasn’t a team to be taken lightly.
Slovakia reinforced that notion today against Canada, even though it ultimately lost, 6-3.
Marko Dano found the back of the net early in the contest to make it 1-0 for the Slovaks.
Things then went bad to worse for Canada when J.C. Lipon was ejected from the game for hitting Tomas Mikus in the head. Mikus got revenge by extending Slovakia’s lead to 2-0 during the ensuing power play.
Ryan Strome managed to get Canada its first goal at 2:16 of the second period, but any momentum that created was squandered when Anthony Camara got a five-minute major and game misconduct for charging Slovakia’s Patrik Luza. Once again Slovakia made Canada pay by regaining its two-goal lead before Camara’s major expired.
That proved to be the high point of the game for Slovakia. Barely a minute passed before Morgan Rielly responded for Canada and Slovakia unraveled. Canada went on to earn a 6-3 victory.
After winning two games in a row, Canada will face the United States on Sunday. They will then wrap up the preliminary round with a Dec. 31 contest against Russia.
In other WJC News…
– Los Angeles Kings’ prospect Tomas Hyka netted the game-winning goal in the Czech Republic’s 3-1 win over Finland. That was a critical victory for the Czech Republic after its loss to Sweden on Wednesday.
– Sweden earned a 3-2 shootout win against Switzerland. Teams only earn two points for an overtime victory, down from three points in a regulation win. Still, Sweden is currently leading Group A with five points in two games.
May 21, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
The 29-year-old was on the ice for all five Boston goals in Game 2.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
He’s got the Red Wings two wins shy of a huge upset.
May 21, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
“We’ve got a good home record, but we can’t rest and be comfortable with just being a great home team.”
May 21, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
He underwent surgery two weeks ago.
May 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A look at that and the San Jose Sharks’ series against the Los Angeles Kings.
May 21, 2013, 9:49 AM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche’s chief scout doesn’t think there’s a clear favorite.
May 21, 2013, 8:46 AM EDT
But before that the Bruins will try to take a 3-0 series lead on the Rangers.
May 21, 2013, 7:38 AM EDT
“They’re discussing the final details of an arrangement.”
May 21, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
May 20, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Is that an intentional Sharks pun?
May 20, 2013, 11:22 PM EDT
He thinks it could be a valuable wake-up call.
May 20, 2013, 11:03 PM EDT
At least between Dan Cleary and Bryan Bickell.
May 20, 2013, 10:51 PM EDT
Joel Quenneville said they “hit the wall” after that.
May 20, 2013, 10:36 PM EDT
Tough night for the zebras.
May 20, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Finally some adversity for the Blackhawks.
May 20, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
Peter Horachek had been with the team since 2003.
May 20, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT
Two goals in 31 seconds, including his beauty.
May 20, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
That Craig Adams hit didn’t feel very good, though.
May 20, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Did anyone go over the line?
May 20, 2013, 8:11 PM EDT
Perhaps that hurt less than it looks.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 4
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 13
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 78
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (78)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control