Dec 28, 2012, 10:15 PM EDT
Some citizens of Glendale, Arizona are feeling a bit more empty tonight.
Melissa Leu of the Arizona Republic reports a bid to get a referendum on the city’s $300 million lease agreement for the team fell short on the number of signatures needed to put it to a vote.
A group calling themselves “Back To Sanity” failed to get the 6,900 votes needed to put the lease agreement to a vote. In an odd twist of fate, one of the group’s founders, Ken Jones, cited a lack of money needed to pay professionals to go out and help gather signatures.
“As soon as we learned that money wasn’t going to be available to us, we realized our chances were going to be pretty slim,” said Jones, who estimated needing $16,000 to pay professional signature gatherers. “But we didn’t quit trying until the last day.”
With the possibility of a referendum out of the way, the only thing getting in the way of the team staying put for good is prospective owner Greg Jamison not completing the purchase of the team. According to the lease agreement, he has until January 31 to do just that.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Philly fired Craig Berube on April 17.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
He last played at the 2006 tournament.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play the second half of Friday night’s win.
Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Chorney and Dumoulin could also head back to Wilkes-Barre for their playoff run.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
He’s been a healthy scratch for three games.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
Blues and Sens need wins to force Game 7
Apr 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EDT
Another big rally at the Saddledome.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
A six-game series that felt like (at least) seven.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Wild stuff at the Saddledome tonight.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Zero goals in five playoff games.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
A healthy tally.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Putting on a clinic.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Corey Crawford’s back in.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
The Islanders won 3-1 in Game 6.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
He made his postseason debut in Game 4.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Plenty of life on Long Island.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Keep this bounce in mind in the third period.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)