Dec 27, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Nail Yakupov has been silenced.
That’s the word out of the World Junior Championships on Thursday as a Russian team official explained Yakupov wouldn’t be talking to reporters until Sunday, Dec. 30 — one day before Russia faces Canada in the final game of the group stage.
The gag order is likely a response to Yakupov’s comments from earlier this week.
In an interview with Russian media outlet R-Sport, the Oilers prospect called the Canadians “dirty” and said he and his Russian teammates would have to be prepared for their style of play.
“I understand that I will have to keep a cool head and ignore provocations. Especially against the Canadians,” Yakupov said. “These guys play dirty. We got used to that, we played a few games in the North America, so our team is ready.”
That comment drew the ire of CBC Hockey Night in Canada’s Don Cherry, who tweeted “Yakupov is just being honest as that’s how he feels about us,” and “what bugs me, he took a Canadian kids spot in the Canadian Hockey League.”
Prior to being selected first overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Yakupov spent two seasons playing for the Sarnia Sting of the Ontario Hockey League.
Russia won its opening game of the WJC with a 3-2 overtime decision over Slovakia. It will play the U.S. on Friday and Germany on Saturday before facing Team Canada on Monday, the 31st.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)