Dec 27, 2012, 12:40 PM EDT
It didn’t take long for Team USA to get going at the World Junior Championships. Just 19 seconds into the game, Sean Kuraly scored to help get the Americans off and running on their way to an 8-0 win over Germany.
Team USA saw all eight goals scored by different players, meanwhile it was Canadiens prospect Alex Galchenyuk earning the game’s MVP honors scoring once and assisting on two others to lead the way. Capitals prospect Riley Barber also had a goal and two helpers for the winning side.
For the USA, it proved to be a nice warm-up act for tomorrow’s big game against Russia. While it would be easy to see the 8-0 score line and assume everything went great, Team USA did have issues with penalties taking seven minors. On two different occasions, Germany had an extended 5-on-3 power play but saw both goalies, John Gibson in the second period and Jon Gillies in the third, stand tall and keep the puck out of the net.
If the penalty issues persist tomorrow, the Russians have enough talent (Nail Yakupov, Mikhail Grigorenko, Alexander Khokhlachev) to make them pay. You can see that game live at 9 a.m. ET on the NHL Network or live-streaming on NHL.com (American fans only, sorry world).
Check out Galchenyuk’s wicked snipe that made it 3-0 in the first period.
(Photo: IIHF Photos)
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
- Giroux leaves ice after 15 minutes with lower-body injury 8
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 26
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 14
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)