Dec 27, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
New York Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky — currently plying his trade with KHL side Slovan Bratislava — has been fined 300,000 rubles for “a slur on the honor and integrity of the League and its referees.”
The fine (roughly $9,800) was levied following Saturday’s game between Slovan and Ak Bars, in which a late third period goal underwent a lengthy video review process because the Slovan goal camera wasn’t working properly.
That forced Slovan’s goal judge to contact the video monitoring room in the KHL office — which took a long time, and apparently drew Visnovsky’s ire:
The incident has landed [Visnovsky] in trouble with the League, after he criticized the referees after the game.
The League notes that no official complaint about the standard of refereeing has been submitted by Slovan, and the commission which monitors the performance of the officials considered their performance satisfactory.
Furthermore, the lengthy delay in awarding Slovan’s equalizing goal was entirely due to a technical fault in Slovan’s video equipment.
According to the KHL Regulations, the officials are under no obligation to explain their decisions to any player other than team captains and alternate captains.
The weird part is that Slovan — y’know, Visnovsky’s team — benefited from the drawn-out review. The goal was awarded, the game was tied, and Slovan went on to win in a shootout.
Maybe Lubo was still hot and bothered about the tripping penalty he took in the first period.
Anyway, this isn’t the first time the KHL’s review process has come under scrutiny. In late October, a video goal judge was relieved of his duties after blowing a call between Amur and Salavat Yulaev.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)