Dec 27, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
New York Islanders defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky — currently plying his trade with KHL side Slovan Bratislava — has been fined 300,000 rubles for “a slur on the honor and integrity of the League and its referees.”
The fine (roughly $9,800) was levied following Saturday’s game between Slovan and Ak Bars, in which a late third period goal underwent a lengthy video review process because the Slovan goal camera wasn’t working properly.
That forced Slovan’s goal judge to contact the video monitoring room in the KHL office — which took a long time, and apparently drew Visnovsky’s ire:
The incident has landed [Visnovsky] in trouble with the League, after he criticized the referees after the game.
The League notes that no official complaint about the standard of refereeing has been submitted by Slovan, and the commission which monitors the performance of the officials considered their performance satisfactory.
Furthermore, the lengthy delay in awarding Slovan’s equalizing goal was entirely due to a technical fault in Slovan’s video equipment.
According to the KHL Regulations, the officials are under no obligation to explain their decisions to any player other than team captains and alternate captains.
The weird part is that Slovan — y’know, Visnovsky’s team — benefited from the drawn-out review. The goal was awarded, the game was tied, and Slovan went on to win in a shootout.
Maybe Lubo was still hot and bothered about the tripping penalty he took in the first period.
Anyway, this isn’t the first time the KHL’s review process has come under scrutiny. In late October, a video goal judge was relieved of his duties after blowing a call between Amur and Salavat Yulaev.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Changes in the crease the theme of the day.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 52
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 54
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 161
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (161)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)