Dec 27, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
One way you never want to make a name for yourself is by getting arrested. For two former NHL players, they didn’t follow that logic.
The Laguna Beach Coastline Pilot reports that former Ducks forward Jean-Francois Jomphe and former Maple Leafs forward Rich Costello were arrested on suspicion of assault after getting in an altercation with a car full of area youth at a Jack In The Box restaurant.
According to the story, Jomphe and Costello cut in line at the drive-thru ahead of the car full of kids. This might come as a surprise, but alcohol is believed to have played a factor in the incident. But what set them off? A little “sign language miscommunication” if you will.
“One of the kids [in the Jetta] did a hand gesture like, ‘Hey, what’s up’ and Jomphe got angry, got out of the cab and went to the guy,” Laguna Beach Police Capt. Jason Kravetz said. “Costello went to restrain him, but he’s pretty upset and shatters the back window.”
Hey, when you want a sourdough cheesesteak melt, you just have to cut in line and reportedly punch and kick strangers to get it.
In case you don’t remember, Jomphe played four seasons in the NHL with Anaheim, Phoenix, and Montreal. Costello was a second-round pick of the Leafs back in 1981 and played just 12 career games with Toronto. Now they’ll be renowned as the guys who got in a fight in a fast food drive-thru.
(Photo: Coastline Pilot)
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 18
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)