Dec 27, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
One way you never want to make a name for yourself is by getting arrested. For two former NHL players, they didn’t follow that logic.
The Laguna Beach Coastline Pilot reports that former Ducks forward Jean-Francois Jomphe and former Maple Leafs forward Rich Costello were arrested on suspicion of assault after getting in an altercation with a car full of area youth at a Jack In The Box restaurant.
According to the story, Jomphe and Costello cut in line at the drive-thru ahead of the car full of kids. This might come as a surprise, but alcohol is believed to have played a factor in the incident. But what set them off? A little “sign language miscommunication” if you will.
“One of the kids [in the Jetta] did a hand gesture like, ‘Hey, what’s up’ and Jomphe got angry, got out of the cab and went to the guy,” Laguna Beach Police Capt. Jason Kravetz said. “Costello went to restrain him, but he’s pretty upset and shatters the back window.”
Hey, when you want a sourdough cheesesteak melt, you just have to cut in line and reportedly punch and kick strangers to get it.
In case you don’t remember, Jomphe played four seasons in the NHL with Anaheim, Phoenix, and Montreal. Costello was a second-round pick of the Leafs back in 1981 and played just 12 career games with Toronto. Now they’ll be renowned as the guys who got in a fight in a fast food drive-thru.
(Photo: Coastline Pilot)
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)