Dec 27, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
One way you never want to make a name for yourself is by getting arrested. For two former NHL players, they didn’t follow that logic.
The Laguna Beach Coastline Pilot reports that former Ducks forward Jean-Francois Jomphe and former Maple Leafs forward Rich Costello were arrested on suspicion of assault after getting in an altercation with a car full of area youth at a Jack In The Box restaurant.
According to the story, Jomphe and Costello cut in line at the drive-thru ahead of the car full of kids. This might come as a surprise, but alcohol is believed to have played a factor in the incident. But what set them off? A little “sign language miscommunication” if you will.
“One of the kids [in the Jetta] did a hand gesture like, ‘Hey, what’s up’ and Jomphe got angry, got out of the cab and went to the guy,” Laguna Beach Police Capt. Jason Kravetz said. “Costello went to restrain him, but he’s pretty upset and shatters the back window.”
Hey, when you want a sourdough cheesesteak melt, you just have to cut in line and reportedly punch and kick strangers to get it.
In case you don’t remember, Jomphe played four seasons in the NHL with Anaheim, Phoenix, and Montreal. Costello was a second-round pick of the Leafs back in 1981 and played just 12 career games with Toronto. Now they’ll be renowned as the guys who got in a fight in a fast food drive-thru.
(Photo: Coastline Pilot)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 11
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 10
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 25
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 55
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)