Dec 27, 2012, 1:44 PM EST
Erik Karlsson‘s time in Finland is coming to a close.
Karlsson, the Ottawa defenseman currently playing with SM-liiga club Jokerit, has announced he’ll leave the Finnish league when his contract expires on Saturday.
The Ottawa Citizen reports the reigning Norris Trophy winner will return to his native Sweden and wait for the NHL lockout to end.
“Erik was excellent, we were very happy and it was a pleasure having him,” Jokerit GM Jarmo Kekäläinen said via e-mail. “He will be missed. Good player and a great guy.”
Karlson has been a dynamic scorer for Jokerit — 27 points in 27 games — and played a key role in the club’s increased attendance. Kekäläinen said the club was averaging 9,600 fans per game this season, “a lot higher” than figures from 2011-12.
It’s understandable why Karlsson wants some downtime prior to the (possible) start of the NHL campaign. This will mark the first season of his seven-year, $45.5 million extension, one that carries at $6.5 million cap hit annually.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)