Montreal’s Price faces Twitter criticism over hunting pics

Dec 27, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens goalie Carey Price has come under fire after tweeting a graphic hunting picture.

On Wednesday, Price posted an image of himself, a fellow hunter and a recently deceased coyote with the caption “bad dog”:

source:

(That’s Price on the left, in white, flashing the peace sign.)

After several Twitter users fired back with criticisms, Price issued the following explanations:

This isn’t the first instance of an NHLer coming under fire for hunting.

Canucks forward David Booth posted pics of bear, elk and mountain goat hunts to his account, drawing criticism from the Vancouver Humane Society for a controversial bear baiting incident in May.

“We find that kind of hunting appalling — he’s a well-know hockey player who’s a role model for many, particularly young people,” society spokesman Peter Fricker said.

“He’s setting a very bad example, and I’m not surprised he’s getting such a negative reaction.”

Related

Carey Price not worried about contract, more focused on roping cows

Someone please explain what’s happening in this Carey Price video

1. murtdurt - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Who cares what this guy does on his spare time. Coyotes are rat dogs anyway

2. bostonboy82 - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I agree, do what you want on your own time but grow up and don’t insult people with the “no game equals no meat for my family” line.

• matt8204 - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, definitely a bit of hyperbole there. This isn’t 1850. And Price is a wealthy athlete. He can go to an expensive steakhouse or buy meat at a local butcher or specialty supermarket whenever he wants.

• tatdue - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Just because he can doesn’t mean he chooses to….I like the idea of knowing exactly where my food comes from….

• darthhamel - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Price is a member of the Ulkatcho First Nation in the interior of BC, so for his family hunting is a part of thier culture and provides a significant portion of thier diet. That’s the context of the “no game equals no meat for my family” tweet.

Coyotes are massively overpopulated because they have learned how to adapt/scavange off of humans much better than wolves. The peace sign is in bad taste, but compared to Kane’s money phone and John Madden shirtless as the Roxy I’d say it’s not really a big deal.

3. doubles22 - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Phoenix fans really need to lighten up.

• Joe Yerdon - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM

You’re speaking my language, home dawg.

• kitshky - Dec 27, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Wait …there’s Phoenix fans!? – every unorignal hockey fan.

4. spokedjackets - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:19 PM

When you give the peace sign it goes straight up and down. When you go sideways its called ‘flashing deuces’ and it makes you a giant tool. What cannot be seen is Carey giving the duck face under his face mask.

• bcjim - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:44 PM

No kidding. Looks like a lame attempt at flashing gang signage, lol.

I think Price is way overrated but I have no problem with him giving the coyotes a little ‘pow-pow’.

• tatdue - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Ya, I’m sure Price is right up to date with the latest ghetto sign language….‘flashing deuces’…lol give me a break, too funny!

• spokedjackets - Dec 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I will give you a break because it was a bit of a joke, I have no idea what its actually called. I made it up so if it takes off from here I want royalties. I was merely trying to make the point that whatever you wanna call what he is doing with his hands, it makes him look like he is either a drunk 19 year old chick, or a cast member from the Jersey Shore. Holla!!

5. paledevil - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Yea I would say that gun is one useful tool..

6. qwest12 - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM

We just shoot them lay. But they are pest animals that mess with live stock which does affect meat production for my family and yours as well. Another type of animal that we do this with is pigs because they destroy everything. We eat some of those though. City people just don’t know anything other than popping down to the grocerie. City living is appalling to me.

7. matt8204 - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I’ve never been a big hunting fan, but I think too much is being made of this. Coyotes are wild animals. He didn’t shoot a golden retriever. I’m sure these people wouldn’t feel too good about their young child or pet encountering a coyote.

8. hockeyflow33 - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:41 PM

What’s life like when you have nothing better to do than worry about what everyone else does?

9. jaredphi - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I agree with Mr. Fricker of the Vancouver Humane Society.

Plus, Price’s flashing of the peace sign is pretty ironic…given that he participated in a violent act that precipitated that photograph.

I wonder if he also hunts wolves, which are an endangered species that many of my fellow Americans appear intent on making extinct…….

Perhaps he will travel to the Arctic next to shoot a polar bear – another nearly extinct species?

I expect better of our neighbors in the Great White North. They have always seemed to be a more ecologically driven, and outdoors and wildlife appreciative, society and to be able to possess a more long-term focus than my short-sighted countrymen.

• spiciercheez - Dec 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Pretty big jump to go from him hunting coyotes to him hunting endangered species….get a grip guy.

• tatdue - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

As a nation we are (not that all Americans aren’t) a bit more ecologically driven, and outdoors and wildlife appreciative, which is why we hunt….A person who doesn’t appreciate nature and just goes out killing things is not a hunter….that kind of person is called a psychopath….

• sunderlanding - Dec 27, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Typical overreaction. Shooting Coyotes is not the same as killing endangered species. You would have to be an idiot to think it was. Furthermore, we all have to kill to live. Doesn’t mean you don’t believe in peace of some kind. All life feeds on some kind of life. Does that mean that no creature on the planet has the right to believe in peace? That’s pretty crazy logic. You need to think things through a little better and quit taking one little fact and jumping to some outlandish conclusion.

10. therealjr - Dec 27, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I saw that dingo eat a baby.

11. cruuuzcontrol - Dec 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM

He’s holding binoculars and the other guy has the gun. I’m going to guess he didn’t actually do anything but point out the coyote to his buddy. And that is a heck of a weapon this guy used to bring down an oversized rat like that ‘yote. You’re a tool, Price.

• thebadguyswon - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:23 PM

And you’re ignorant.

• darthhamel - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:30 PM

That’s fires a 5.56 mm bullet, which is perfectly appropriate for game of that size. Much larger would turn it into hamburger, much smaller and the animal would suffer for a long time rather than die quickly.

• verlandersrightarm - Dec 27, 2012 at 6:48 PM

I’m guessing you don’t hunt. Everybody that hunts these days takes a pair binoculars, even bow hunters.

12. capsfan19 - Dec 27, 2012 at 4:06 PM

If he’s hunting legally then stop complaining.

13. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Dec 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM

We have a coyote problem where I live(Florida, believe it or not) and almost all of the neighborhood cats have disappeared since they showed up. So everyone who threw a fit about the cute little coyote getting shot should probably do a little research and realize that coyotes will eat your cute little pets if they get the chance. As long as he gave it a humane death, there’s nothing to complain about here.

14. x50cal - Dec 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

People who are hating on price or booth hunting need to GTFO of North America. Yes population control needs to be done on coyotes and yes he does have the money to spend to buy food in stores, but tell me why would you want to when you can go out hunt LEGALLY and get meat that isn’t juiced with steroids and preservatives. Grow up people and stop whining really

15. thebadguyswon - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Big deal. I live an hour south of Montreal and people here hunt coyotes all the time. One less coyote trying to kill a distressed fawn this winter. Trust me people, plenty of those dogs will be left.

16. nyrnashty - Dec 27, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The only problem I see is that it looks like they only got one, but at least they didn’t come home empty handed. People are going to complain online about anything. Everyone is a tough guy that thinks they’re bigger than what they actually are in real life. Let the complainers complain it’s funny. People are lucky that players choose to interact with the fans in the first place on social media outlets.

17. harpdog - Dec 27, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Coyotes are vicious and dangerous animals. They have been known to kill small children and pets. They breed like rabbits and if they aren’t kept under control will virtually over populate an area to the point that no game will come around. Many families require hunting as a way to feed their families and from the comments on this blog, most nay sayers here are city folk with no idea how the real real world has to live.
    Can some explain to me why Price is such a bad guy when there are hundreds of thousands of hunters doing the same thing. Business and families rely on hunting. Gun shops, magazine companies, equipment suppliers etc. etc. all rely on hunting as a lively hood, not just country people. Stop using twitter if you do not like what you see. No one cares

18. thedavesiknowiknow - Dec 27, 2012 at 6:30 PM

If he really wants to feed the fire: fishing with dynamite usually gets the trust fund hippies all up in arms.

19. banshee950 - Dec 27, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I’d rather have him out killing stuff than stoning the Bruins anyday! legal kill, no big deal non story..next.

20. malkinrulez - Dec 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM

He killed a coyote , who cares

21. blomfeld - Dec 27, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Ahem … sorry there fellow humans, but the one species which needs culling is us !

What Carey Price is doing here is “much ado about nothing” in the big scheme of things. And besides, he’s a nice guy and he’s a First Nations brother who can claim hunting to be a legitimate part of his culture. No, the story that really upset me recently was that intercepted container of ivory tusks in Malaysia which was bound for China. The revelation from that story was that the worldwide elephant population is apparently now accelerating to outright extinction much faster than originally thought (less than 20 years by some estimates) … and that is almost entirely due to the insatiable demand for their body parts by “certain” cultures who deem them necessary in-order to attain longer penises and greater libido. It’s pathetic when you think about it. And yet here are we “smart ass” humans in 2012, breeding like rats ourselves while poisoning and destroying the environment like there was no tomorrow … which by the way there won’t be given the way we continue to carry on. The bottom line is that “we’re” the ones who need to be controlled, not our few remaining friends in the wild.

Anyway, my basic rule is that while killing is fine for things like food, survival, or cases of mercy, it should “never” be done for the sole purpose of pleasure or entertainment, as that to me is the epitome of pure evil. Whether it’s a soldier “laughing” while he’s shooting an enemy, a rancher “laughing” as he slaughters cattle, or a fisherman “laughing” as he hauls in a catch … as far as I’m concerned, anyone who derives pleasure from the taking life is both depraved and evil … and they should be “dealt with” accordingly.

Blomfeld sidebar: For whatever reason “all” animals like me. When I’m playing at my golf course all alone on a warm spring or summer evening, I often have a gallery of “friends” literally following me from hole to hole, which includes but is not limited to coyotes, rabbits, deer, birds and racoons. It’s amazing, as once I putt out and proceed to the next tee box, they in turn all follow me as a group, almost on “cue” or something?

22. mountainmantride - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Price is a f&&ing idiot.

23. flyeredup - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Bang bang!

24. rje49 - Dec 28, 2012 at 12:34 PM

From a Bruins fan, my opinion of Cary Price just improved.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches