Dec 26, 2012, 10:25 AM EST
The Detroit Red Wings’ plans to build a new arena came under scrutiny thanks to them getting taxpayer money to fund the project. A recent financial report won’t be doing the team any favors for how things look on the surface.
Christine MacDonald of The Detroit News reports the team and owner Mike Ilitch may owe the struggling city up to $70 million thanks to an old provision in the team’s television contract as it concerns the city-owned Joe Louis Arena. As you might suspect, this isn’t going over well with city politicians.
“The Ilitches are a multibillion-dollar operation, and they are inside a city that is sinking,” said City Councilman Kwame Kenyatta. “(Mike Ilitch), I am sure, knows about this and should be forthcoming to help the city. Help us by writing a check, not by negotiating a new lease.”
Oh yeah, the lease. The team’s lease to play at The Joe expired in 2010. Since then, the team reportedly hasn’t paid rent nor property taxes to play there and the city hasn’t gotten their cut of concessions either. Whoops.
As George Malik of blog Abel To Yzerman says, however, Detroit’s financial problems are huge and what the Wings may or may not owe the city is just a drop in a very broke bucket. That said, perhaps the city should think about forking money over for a new building if they’re owed such a big stack of cash as it is.
Dec 20, 2013, 4:07 PM EST
The play of 19-year-old Olli Maatta has helped the Penguins keep rolling.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:56 PM EST
“We didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” said a Denver DA spokesperson.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
Also, Dan Girardi’s acting skills.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:26 PM EST
Leafs haven’t done well since the start of 24/7.
Dec 20, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
Should be in Saturday to face Toronto.
Dec 20, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
James van Riemsdyk scored on Mike Smith… we think.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He went two years between NHL contests.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:24 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger believes it’s likely.
Dec 20, 2013, 1:14 PM EST
Pittsburgh defenseman returned to practice on Friday.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:46 PM EST
Will take on the Devils in Jersey.
Dec 20, 2013, 12:31 PM EST
“We have players turning right back into the defensemen when he’s already committed to the hit.”
Dec 20, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
Acquired from Edmonton yesterday.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EST
“You want ‘em both?”
Dec 20, 2013, 11:54 AM EST
Four straight solid starts for the 36-year-old veteran who fell on hard times last season.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
He’ll face the Panthers tonight.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:13 AM EST
Canucks lost 4-1 to Dallas last night.
Dec 20, 2013, 11:07 AM EST
Meanwhile, Darryl Sutter says it shouldn’t have been a major penalty.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:45 AM EST
Impressing a legend is lofty praise.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:36 AM EST
He won the Stanley Cup and an Olympic bronze medal.
Dec 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl was injured on the play.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 7
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 1
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 52
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 63
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 31
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)