Dec 26, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are celebrating their 2011-12 Atlantic Division title win even if they might not get a chance to defend it this season.
The New York Times points out that the team now has a banner for that division title, which is currently located right next to the banner for their “curse-breaking” Stanley Cup victory in 1993-94.
It can be tough to determine which accomplishments justify the banner treatment, but perhaps it makes sense to raise a divisional banner considering the Rangers’ run of struggles since Mark Messier, Brian Leetch and Mike Richter won it all.
At least they’ve decided not to hold a pre-game ceremony for the banner raising, with one team official pointing to “higher aspirations.”
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (87)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)