Dec 26, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are celebrating their 2011-12 Atlantic Division title win even if they might not get a chance to defend it this season.
The New York Times points out that the team now has a banner for that division title, which is currently located right next to the banner for their “curse-breaking” Stanley Cup victory in 1993-94.
It can be tough to determine which accomplishments justify the banner treatment, but perhaps it makes sense to raise a divisional banner considering the Rangers’ run of struggles since Mark Messier, Brian Leetch and Mike Richter won it all.
At least they’ve decided not to hold a pre-game ceremony for the banner raising, with one team official pointing to “higher aspirations.”
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)