Dec 26, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are celebrating their 2011-12 Atlantic Division title win even if they might not get a chance to defend it this season.
The New York Times points out that the team now has a banner for that division title, which is currently located right next to the banner for their “curse-breaking” Stanley Cup victory in 1993-94.
It can be tough to determine which accomplishments justify the banner treatment, but perhaps it makes sense to raise a divisional banner considering the Rangers’ run of struggles since Mark Messier, Brian Leetch and Mike Richter won it all.
At least they’ve decided not to hold a pre-game ceremony for the banner raising, with one team official pointing to “higher aspirations.”
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7