Dec 26, 2012, 9:00 PM EDT
The New York Rangers are celebrating their 2011-12 Atlantic Division title win even if they might not get a chance to defend it this season.
The New York Times points out that the team now has a banner for that division title, which is currently located right next to the banner for their “curse-breaking” Stanley Cup victory in 1993-94.
It can be tough to determine which accomplishments justify the banner treatment, but perhaps it makes sense to raise a divisional banner considering the Rangers’ run of struggles since Mark Messier, Brian Leetch and Mike Richter won it all.
At least they’ve decided not to hold a pre-game ceremony for the banner raising, with one team official pointing to “higher aspirations.”
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33