Dec 26, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs organization is drawing some criticism about the way it handles players with possible concussions after Nazem Kadri eventually left a Toronto Marlies contest after taking an elbow to the head.
Kadri came right back out for the ensuing power play, only to eventually leave the game with what teammate Dallas Eakins called “headaches,” according to the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
As mentioned earlier, some are questioning the way the Maple Leafs/Marlies handle potential concussion situations.
Defenseman Jake Gardiner suffered what seemed like a concussion on Dec. 8, but the organization appears hesitant to label it that way. (Mirtle reports that GM Brian Burke most recently described the symptoms as “whiplash.”)
The Leafs also got into similar (some might say semantic) arguments about James Reimer‘s possible concussion last season, with sites such as Leafs Nation arguing that they rushed him back too quickly.
It’s a troubling setback for Kadri, but some argue it’s also the latest example of an organization that needs to change its ways.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.
Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …
Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT
He says the “progress has been really good.”
Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?
Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”
Sep 30, 2014, 4:12 PM EDT
Buffalo trims training camp roster to 30.
Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”
Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Both off to AHL Texas.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
“You don’t pay attention to that kind of stuff.”
Sep 30, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
“I’m not naive, I know as the season goes on it’ll become more of a talking point.”
Sep 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
D-man was likely headed to AHL Utica.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Looks like both have avoided serious damage.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
And they open at home on Oct. 10.
Sep 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
So says Lindy Ruff.
Sep 30, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Flyers captain will make preseason debut at Wells Fargo.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)