Dec 26, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs organization is drawing some criticism about the way it handles players with possible concussions after Nazem Kadri eventually left a Toronto Marlies contest after taking an elbow to the head.
Kadri came right back out for the ensuing power play, only to eventually leave the game with what teammate Dallas Eakins called “headaches,” according to the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
As mentioned earlier, some are questioning the way the Maple Leafs/Marlies handle potential concussion situations.
Defenseman Jake Gardiner suffered what seemed like a concussion on Dec. 8, but the organization appears hesitant to label it that way. (Mirtle reports that GM Brian Burke most recently described the symptoms as “whiplash.”)
The Leafs also got into similar (some might say semantic) arguments about James Reimer‘s possible concussion last season, with sites such as Leafs Nation arguing that they rushed him back too quickly.
It’s a troubling setback for Kadri, but some argue it’s also the latest example of an organization that needs to change its ways.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 0
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 19
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 40
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 73
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks