Dec 26, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs organization is drawing some criticism about the way it handles players with possible concussions after Nazem Kadri eventually left a Toronto Marlies contest after taking an elbow to the head.
Kadri came right back out for the ensuing power play, only to eventually leave the game with what teammate Dallas Eakins called “headaches,” according to the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
As mentioned earlier, some are questioning the way the Maple Leafs/Marlies handle potential concussion situations.
Defenseman Jake Gardiner suffered what seemed like a concussion on Dec. 8, but the organization appears hesitant to label it that way. (Mirtle reports that GM Brian Burke most recently described the symptoms as “whiplash.”)
The Leafs also got into similar (some might say semantic) arguments about James Reimer‘s possible concussion last season, with sites such as Leafs Nation arguing that they rushed him back too quickly.
It’s a troubling setback for Kadri, but some argue it’s also the latest example of an organization that needs to change its ways.
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing near Stars bench (Update) 4
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 18
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 36
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)