Dec 26, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs organization is drawing some criticism about the way it handles players with possible concussions after Nazem Kadri eventually left a Toronto Marlies contest after taking an elbow to the head.
Kadri came right back out for the ensuing power play, only to eventually leave the game with what teammate Dallas Eakins called “headaches,” according to the Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle.
As mentioned earlier, some are questioning the way the Maple Leafs/Marlies handle potential concussion situations.
Defenseman Jake Gardiner suffered what seemed like a concussion on Dec. 8, but the organization appears hesitant to label it that way. (Mirtle reports that GM Brian Burke most recently described the symptoms as “whiplash.”)
The Leafs also got into similar (some might say semantic) arguments about James Reimer‘s possible concussion last season, with sites such as Leafs Nation arguing that they rushed him back too quickly.
It’s a troubling setback for Kadri, but some argue it’s also the latest example of an organization that needs to change its ways.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)