Dec 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello has a few thoughts on the lockoutRich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger spoke with Lamoriello about the lack of progress in talks and his distinct lack of involvement in them this time around.
On the lockout stretching into late December: “I’m embarrassed for the game.”
“It’s coming down to the wire right now,” Lamoriello said. “We’ve just got to trust the people that are involved. I’m embarrassed we are where we’re at. That’s the best expression I can use.”
On his lack of involvement in talks after helping be a part of the process back in 2004-05 to help end that lockout Lamoriello says, “I’m not involved the way I was in the past. I can’t answer why.”
If you’re looking for the answer as to “Why?” then you only have to look at Ilya Kovalchuk‘s contract with the Devils.
That situation saw the Devils found guilty of circumventing the salary cap and handing out a long-term, back-diving deal — something commissioner Gary Bettman has spoken out against and is using this lockout to try and eliminate.
Meanwhile, this kind of criticism might just get him a chance to talk to the commissioner again, just not in a way that would help possibly end the lockout.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5