Dec 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello has a few thoughts on the lockoutRich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger spoke with Lamoriello about the lack of progress in talks and his distinct lack of involvement in them this time around.
On the lockout stretching into late December: “I’m embarrassed for the game.”
“It’s coming down to the wire right now,” Lamoriello said. “We’ve just got to trust the people that are involved. I’m embarrassed we are where we’re at. That’s the best expression I can use.”
On his lack of involvement in talks after helping be a part of the process back in 2004-05 to help end that lockout Lamoriello says, “I’m not involved the way I was in the past. I can’t answer why.”
If you’re looking for the answer as to “Why?” then you only have to look at Ilya Kovalchuk‘s contract with the Devils.
That situation saw the Devils found guilty of circumventing the salary cap and handing out a long-term, back-diving deal — something commissioner Gary Bettman has spoken out against and is using this lockout to try and eliminate.
Meanwhile, this kind of criticism might just get him a chance to talk to the commissioner again, just not in a way that would help possibly end the lockout.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 3
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 25
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 67
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)