Dec 26, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello has a few thoughts on the lockoutRich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger spoke with Lamoriello about the lack of progress in talks and his distinct lack of involvement in them this time around.
On the lockout stretching into late December: “I’m embarrassed for the game.”
“It’s coming down to the wire right now,” Lamoriello said. “We’ve just got to trust the people that are involved. I’m embarrassed we are where we’re at. That’s the best expression I can use.”
On his lack of involvement in talks after helping be a part of the process back in 2004-05 to help end that lockout Lamoriello says, “I’m not involved the way I was in the past. I can’t answer why.”
If you’re looking for the answer as to “Why?” then you only have to look at Ilya Kovalchuk‘s contract with the Devils.
That situation saw the Devils found guilty of circumventing the salary cap and handing out a long-term, back-diving deal — something commissioner Gary Bettman has spoken out against and is using this lockout to try and eliminate.
Meanwhile, this kind of criticism might just get him a chance to talk to the commissioner again, just not in a way that would help possibly end the lockout.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)