Dec 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Predators defenseman Kevin Klein may not exactly be the first guy you think of when it comes to Nashville hockey, but playing abroad in Denmark has made him a star there.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean spoke with Klein’s sister, Laura, and finds out he’s the biggest thing to happen to Denmark’s AL-Bank Ligaen Herlev Eagles maybe ever.
“They had pictures of him made so they could sell them, that he signed. He would always get interviewed after the game in front of the VIP people. There was this huge spray-painted sign saying, ‘Welcome Klein No. 18,’ and fans would chant his name,” Laura said. “He wasn’t given everything, but the fans supported him to the fullest, not even knowing who he was. They just knew he was (an NHL) hockey player.”
His performance in the playoffs last year helped earn him a five-year, $14.5 million extension from the team.
In Denmark, his points are normal (a goal and two assists in eight games) but his penalty minutes have skyrocketed with 29 (he had just four all last season). Sticking up for your teammates will do that.
Maybe playing in a small league elsewhere does have its perks when you’re not an NHL superstar.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
So says his coach. (And rightly so.)
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
They’re first and second in the Central Division, and neither has lost in regulation yet.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Postponed in the wake of the Ottawa shootings.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s a special teams extravaganza!
Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Says he was never asked to increase ice time of youngsters returning from injury.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing great.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
A court date has been set for Dec. 1.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Little bit of history here.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 7
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 55
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (56)