Dec 26, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Predators defenseman Kevin Klein may not exactly be the first guy you think of when it comes to Nashville hockey, but playing abroad in Denmark has made him a star there.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean spoke with Klein’s sister, Laura, and finds out he’s the biggest thing to happen to Denmark’s AL-Bank Ligaen Herlev Eagles maybe ever.
“They had pictures of him made so they could sell them, that he signed. He would always get interviewed after the game in front of the VIP people. There was this huge spray-painted sign saying, ‘Welcome Klein No. 18,’ and fans would chant his name,” Laura said. “He wasn’t given everything, but the fans supported him to the fullest, not even knowing who he was. They just knew he was (an NHL) hockey player.”
His performance in the playoffs last year helped earn him a five-year, $14.5 million extension from the team.
In Denmark, his points are normal (a goal and two assists in eight games) but his penalty minutes have skyrocketed with 29 (he had just four all last season). Sticking up for your teammates will do that.
Maybe playing in a small league elsewhere does have its perks when you’re not an NHL superstar.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
It’s no secret that they’re losing a lot of money.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Click the link to see the pictures.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
“I’m just getting tired.”
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)