Dec 26, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Calgary Flames winger Jiri Hudler had a close call playing for Trinec in the Czech League.
Play-by-play announcer Roman Jedlicka reports that Hudler was hospitalized after taking a skate to the neck Wednesday. Hudler needed stitches but avoided a major injury because the skate blade didn’t cut an artery, according to Jedlicka.
His Czech team described it as “nothing serious.”
That’s pretty scary stuff, yet ultimately it seems like Hudler’s situation is more like Travis Moen‘s close call than the debilitating skate-blade injuries suffered by Clint Malarchuk, Alexei Yashin, Richard Zednik and others before.
Overseas injury reports can occasionally be a bit spotty, so PHT will provide an update if Hudler’s health outlook is actually worse than indicated.
At the moment, it seems like the Flames can breathe a sigh of relief after big offseason acquisition probably dodged a bullet, though.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)