Dec 26, 2012, 10:00 PM EST
Calgary Flames winger Jiri Hudler had a close call playing for Trinec in the Czech League.
Play-by-play announcer Roman Jedlicka reports that Hudler was hospitalized after taking a skate to the neck Wednesday. Hudler needed stitches but avoided a major injury because the skate blade didn’t cut an artery, according to Jedlicka.
His Czech team described it as “nothing serious.”
That’s pretty scary stuff, yet ultimately it seems like Hudler’s situation is more like Travis Moen‘s close call than the debilitating skate-blade injuries suffered by Clint Malarchuk, Alexei Yashin, Richard Zednik and others before.
Overseas injury reports can occasionally be a bit spotty, so PHT will provide an update if Hudler’s health outlook is actually worse than indicated.
At the moment, it seems like the Flames can breathe a sigh of relief after big offseason acquisition probably dodged a bullet, though.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 17
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)