Dec 26, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT
Calgary Flames winger Jiri Hudler had a close call playing for Trinec in the Czech League.
Play-by-play announcer Roman Jedlicka reports that Hudler was hospitalized after taking a skate to the neck Wednesday. Hudler needed stitches but avoided a major injury because the skate blade didn’t cut an artery, according to Jedlicka.
His Czech team described it as “nothing serious.”
That’s pretty scary stuff, yet ultimately it seems like Hudler’s situation is more like Travis Moen‘s close call than the debilitating skate-blade injuries suffered by Clint Malarchuk, Alexei Yashin, Richard Zednik and others before.
Overseas injury reports can occasionally be a bit spotty, so PHT will provide an update if Hudler’s health outlook is actually worse than indicated.
At the moment, it seems like the Flames can breathe a sigh of relief after big offseason acquisition probably dodged a bullet, though.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)