Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
Last year, NBA star Kevin Durant ended up playing a pickup flag football game because he was killing locked-out time on Twitter. Montreal Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges embraced a similar itch on Wednesday, as Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette reports.
The spirit was similar, but the scenario was quite different.
Durant enjoyed playing a different sport in what was 60-degree weather; Stubbs spoke with Gorges about playing shinny in frigid weather at Verdun’s Willibrord Park.
“It wasn’t bad when I was actually playing, but it was cold when I had to stand around doing interviews,” Gorges said after the pickup game.
About 50 people showed up after Gorges sent out a call to get back to the game’s roots on his Twitter account.
Much like the haphazard Twitter organizing process, the on-ice action occasionally amounted to what Gorges described as “total chaos.” Still, it reminded people like Stubbs of the game’s golden era.
You’ll hear stories from old-timers about how 1940s and ’50s Canadiens legends Elmer Lach, Doug Harvey, Dickie Moore and others would join a handful of star-struck kids on a park rink only for the love of having another puck on their stick and a sheet of ice beneath their blades.
A half-century later, without knowing it, Gorges picked up the legends’ torch. He hastily cobbled together a pickup game, something that participating youngsters will one day be describing to their kids, not because he wanted publicity or figured it was good PR.
With the lockout continuing indefinitely, Gorges asked if it might happen again:
Thanks to everyone who showed up for the game today had alot of fun!! What do you think should we organize another game??—
josh gorges (@jgorges26) December 26, 2012
May 20, 2013, 3:12 PM EDT
But can the Rangers control the Bruins’ big forwards?
May 20, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
Just to quash that rumor entirely.
May 20, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
“Don’t stick your hands where you shouldn’t.”
May 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
The commissioner visited the New York Stock Exchange last week.
May 20, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
Wanna watch 18-year-olds work out? Wait, that came out wrong.
May 20, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
Click for the odds on all the finalists.
May 20, 2013, 1:55 PM EDT
He was the club’s second-round pick from 2011.
May 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
Thumbs up for Doug Wilson.
May 20, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
He’s off to Torpedo Nizhni Novgorod.
May 20, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
He was a healthy scratch for Games 1 and 2.
May 20, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Young d-men Torey Krug, Dougie Hamilton and Matt Bartkowski have impressed.
May 20, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
That’s Darnell Nurse, a highly-touted prospect for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
May 20, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT
But don’t worry, Sens fans — he’s fine.
May 20, 2013, 11:43 AM EDT
San Jose’s Logan Couture played the hero on Saturday night.
May 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
Which is exactly what the goalie was following Game 3.
May 20, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
All three captains are still competing in the playoffs.
May 20, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
And Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen was apparently on board.
May 20, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Washington is moving into a very tough division.
May 20, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
He had no points and seven fights.
May 20, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Game 3 will start at 7:30 p.m. ET.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 3
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot