Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
Last year, NBA star Kevin Durant ended up playing a pickup flag football game because he was killing locked-out time on Twitter. Montreal Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges embraced a similar itch on Wednesday, as Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette reports.
The spirit was similar, but the scenario was quite different.
Durant enjoyed playing a different sport in what was 60-degree weather; Stubbs spoke with Gorges about playing shinny in frigid weather at Verdun’s Willibrord Park.
“It wasn’t bad when I was actually playing, but it was cold when I had to stand around doing interviews,” Gorges said after the pickup game.
About 50 people showed up after Gorges sent out a call to get back to the game’s roots on his Twitter account.
Much like the haphazard Twitter organizing process, the on-ice action occasionally amounted to what Gorges described as “total chaos.” Still, it reminded people like Stubbs of the game’s golden era.
You’ll hear stories from old-timers about how 1940s and ’50s Canadiens legends Elmer Lach, Doug Harvey, Dickie Moore and others would join a handful of star-struck kids on a park rink only for the love of having another puck on their stick and a sheet of ice beneath their blades.
A half-century later, without knowing it, Gorges picked up the legends’ torch. He hastily cobbled together a pickup game, something that participating youngsters will one day be describing to their kids, not because he wanted publicity or figured it was good PR.
With the lockout continuing indefinitely, Gorges asked if it might happen again:
Thanks to everyone who showed up for the game today had alot of fun!! What do you think should we organize another game??—
josh gorges (@jgorges26) December 26, 2012
Jul 6, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
That’s him in the blue shirt, standing next to ex-NHL goalie Dan Cloutier… who is 6’1.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
Spent last year with Colorado’s AHL affiliate.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Click for all the cap hits.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
His Kelowna Rockets went to the 2015 Memorial Cup.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“You basically say, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s a great place to play and we have great fans and a great stadium.'”
Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Played 59 games for the Sabres last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
“He gets to come in and have a heck of a year and put the screws to us.”
Jul 6, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
They have the arena, but not the potential owner.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Finished with a career-high 18 goals last season in Vancouver.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The 23-year-old could be in line for a significant raise.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)