Dec 26, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
Last year, NBA star Kevin Durant ended up playing a pickup flag football game because he was killing locked-out time on Twitter. Montreal Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges embraced a similar itch on Wednesday, as Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette reports.
The spirit was similar, but the scenario was quite different.
Durant enjoyed playing a different sport in what was 60-degree weather; Stubbs spoke with Gorges about playing shinny in frigid weather at Verdun’s Willibrord Park.
“It wasn’t bad when I was actually playing, but it was cold when I had to stand around doing interviews,” Gorges said after the pickup game.
About 50 people showed up after Gorges sent out a call to get back to the game’s roots on his Twitter account.
Much like the haphazard Twitter organizing process, the on-ice action occasionally amounted to what Gorges described as “total chaos.” Still, it reminded people like Stubbs of the game’s golden era.
You’ll hear stories from old-timers about how 1940s and ’50s Canadiens legends Elmer Lach, Doug Harvey, Dickie Moore and others would join a handful of star-struck kids on a park rink only for the love of having another puck on their stick and a sheet of ice beneath their blades.
A half-century later, without knowing it, Gorges picked up the legends’ torch. He hastily cobbled together a pickup game, something that participating youngsters will one day be describing to their kids, not because he wanted publicity or figured it was good PR.
With the lockout continuing indefinitely, Gorges asked if it might happen again:
Thanks to everyone who showed up for the game today had alot of fun!! What do you think should we organize another game??—
josh gorges (@jgorges26) December 26, 2012
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)