Don Cherry didn’t care for Yakupov calling Canadian players “dirty”

Dec 26, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

When Nail Yakupov told reporters ahead of the World Junior Championships that Team Canada plays “dirty” hockey, you knew Canada’s reaction would be loud. You also had to figure Don Cherry would have something to say about that and, you guessed it, he took to Twitter to take exception to it all.

Take it away, Grapes.

Listen, this is Don Cherry doing what he does best. He picks a side, in this case and almost always the pro-Canada side, and runs with it.

Never mind that the big part of rivalries means always cheering against your biggest opponent (Canadian, Russian, and American fans are all guilty of this) and the whole “he took a spot away from another kid” thing is just a matter of competition.

But hey, he said something outlandish to match what Yakupov had to say in the first place. Well done, everyone.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 26, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yup, typical Don Cherry.

2. loinstache - Dec 26, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Typical Cherry but Yerdon blasting someone for partiality is quite rich

3. broadstbully33 - Dec 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Crying frenchy. Surprise, surprise

• theawesomersfranchise - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Typical Ignorant American. Nobody Suprised

• lordfletcher - Dec 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM

“Typical Ignorant American. Nobody Suprised”

is English your first language? or did his “Frenchy” comment strike a nerve? :) JK JK JK

As a Canadian I take it you find grapes to be funny, wise and a man who bleeds maple syrup…. but here in the states and probably every where else in the world, he is viewed as a patriot commentator, knowledgeable and annoying 68% of the time.

I feel that he is great for the game (especially team Canada) but a bit ‘too’ much ‘too’ often

• theawesomersfranchise - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Like EVERY AMERICAN doesn’t bleed R,W & B. Like EVERY American on tv doesn’t support Team USA.

Oh wait, when a Canadian is equally proud and quick to defend his boys, it’s a problem. Right?

Or are you trying to say that Americans don’t do the EXACT same thing. And they all eat it up with a spoon.

An American does it, and it’s “normal” and “patriotic” and non-American does it and it rubs the ignorant American the wrong way. Of course the complete normal American takes it for what it is and couldn’t care less. But your typical Ignorant American can’t hack it.
        You know, those Ignorant Americans who pretend like all Canadians are French while ignoring Louisiana.

If I was equally ignorant I’d refer to Americans as Frechies, because they have plenty of French.
        Or better yet, Mexicans, Yup most Americans are just Illegals from Mexico.

• lordfletcher - Dec 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Dude… take it easy. I was CLEARLY joking… You need to slow down and take a deep breath.

As a Minnesotan, I love my brothers to the north. I often go hungting and fishing in Ontario and make great friends each trip.

so again, settle down and don’t let the trolls get you all worked up

cheers :D

• theawesomersfranchise - Dec 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Whatever Paco

4. innout10 - Dec 26, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Uhh… Don cherry is the furthest thing from a frenchman…

• kitshky - Dec 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM

broadstbully33 is clearly trolling that lame line, I made the mistake of replyin to it a few posts ago and of course …here it is again.

5. ducksk - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Cherry=clown. Anti anything except Ca. Hockey. He had a great idea recently, have 10 teams in Canada. Oh yeah, then Canada hockey teams may win the cup again finally. wonder what the clown says about canuck kids taking scholarships from USA kids…..in D1 colleges. I hate that crime! Oops, but what about all the US cash? I’ve always disliked this clown.

• sunderlanding - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:12 AM

You do realize that the team that wins the Stanley Cup is almost always the team with the most Canadian players? Cherry might be borderline racist, but he knows his hockey. Yakupov did come over to play junior hockey in Canada for a reason. Because it’s the best. He could’ve stayed in Russia if he wanted. He probably could’ve gone to the States if he wanted as well, but Canadian hockey continually produces the best hockey players.

6. ducksk - Dec 26, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Ignorant American? Why don’t you start your own college scholarship program instead of your goon meat grinder juniors who Canadians boo when they go up there to play. I’ll never forgive your fans booing the anthem, rioting in cup loss, and taking all credit for anything hockey. Fool. Please keep your kids north of the border and give them an education and scholarship? Go eat some whale fat and caribou. Loser

• loinstache - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:02 PM

hahahahah MURICA

• bcjim - Dec 26, 2012 at 8:23 PM

lmao, ducksk. I nominate this as “2012 PHT Post of the Year” Given that it is 12/26, your plaque is in the mail.

Whale fat… lol

7. loinstache - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I’m often shocked by the blind hatred I see ignited in the comment sections of this site compared to other sports blogs I frequent, and then I remember what the ‘N’ in NBC refers to!

8. dbarnes79 - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM

He’s right. Yakupov came to the CHL cause its the best league for jr hockey players. He plays in Canada, he was drafted by a Canadian team. He should be a little bit smarter with his comments.

9. ducksk - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:28 PM

My dislike was directed to Cherry. And it is well founded if you have followed the game as long as I have. He is a buffoon of the highest standard. And, my point of Canadian kids coming to USA for a paid education and college hockey fame is unarguable. Turris and a army of them of come, took a
    Scholarship and played for a year or to. It’s wrong and those that know USA college hockey know it is. Just like booing another’s anthem. Oh yeah, are you still not under British rule? Then I dislike tea and crumpets. And don cherry a$$ clown!

• tatdue - Dec 26, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Wow, are you really this ignorant?….”I’ll never forgive your fans booing the anthem, rioting in cup loss, and taking all credit for anything hockey. Fool. Please keep your kids north of the border and give them an education and scholarship? Go eat some whale fat and caribou. Loser”…..Not that I would ever condone such stupidity as booing another country’s anthem, but, this HAS happened in the US as well…..And come on really? Are you seriously going to act like riots at sporting events have never happened in the States? Now last but not least is your “unarguable” college issue, which is absolutely ridiculous by the way….How can you blame Canadians for the matter of an American school CHOOSING to give a Canadian kid a scholarship? Your schools are making those CHOICES…You can’t blame any kid for accepting a scholarship no matter where he/she was born. Do you not know that there are a lot of Americans in Canadian Universities and also playing in the Canadian minor leagues (CHL), and that most of our hockey leagues are inter-connected?

The rest of the stuff that you wrote is just classless and immature to say the least. You can’t complain about someone and then mimic their actions….There are ignorant/prejudiced/racist people in every country buddy, but the cooler and correct thing to do is to simply not be one of them…..

10. thomaspratt - Dec 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Lockout silver lining — no Coach’s Corner every Saturday

11. id4joey - Dec 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Test

12. ducksk - Dec 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Fact. You defend Clown Cherry, 1/3 of USA D1 players are Canadians. Somewhere around 6% of CHL are Americans. Do I blame the kids? Never, not using Cherry’s argument. I am pissed that our publicly funded universities allow their athletic departments to perpetuate it. And I will continue to fight it as long as I have breath. It’s wrong. $335 a week to play In CHL is a far cry from a $40,000. A year scholarship is it not? If 1/3 is not right what is? Oh yeah, USA wins and a party turns riotous, you lose and riot. Big difference. Show me when and where we booed your anthem. I don’t need you telling me what you think is right or wrong. Who are you? Let’s see, you comment on a story on a blog, be called ignorant, and then read why I should be more like self righteous you. Please enjoy the whale blubber with a spot of tea.

• tatdue - Dec 27, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I never defended Cherry if you would have actually paid attention…The only thing that I said about him was actually directed at you and that was…”You can’t complain about someone and then mimic their actions….” – but I guess you didn’t get the hint. As far as the anthem goes…How about Boston right after the idiots did it in Montreal. It’s also happened in junior games as well but I’m not your personnel hockey historian educate yourself. Also when a kid plays in the CHL they get a full scholarship when they are done…It’s kind of funny that you left that part out of your last comment, it must have been accidental….lol…But I must say your argument for the riot thing is the absolute best…..Your riots are okay because they happened after a win…WOW is all I can say. If not being ignorant/prejudiced/racist means that in your eyes I’m self righteous, that’s fine by me but hang on to that prejudiced attitude though buddy as long as you think it’s cool….

13. ducksk - Dec 26, 2012 at 11:37 PM

We let him take a Canadian kids spot in the Canadian Hockey” cherry. We? He owns Canadian hockey? Is offended some ruskie calls you dirty? I can not stand this self a facing buffoon.

14. ducksk - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:18 AM

No argument there! Canada produces great hockey players. And somewhere around 65% of NHL give or take is made up of Canadian players, although its dropping, so yep, honest statement about Canadians on Stanley cup teams. I just dislike double standard, hypocrites.

15. ducksk - Dec 27, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I could care less what Nail thinks of us, what bugs me, he took a Canadian kids spot in the Canadian Hockey League. Russians now cheering for Germans” cherry. How can you people drink his cool aid? And give this man a voice, in fact call him the voice of hockey Canada?

• loinstache - Dec 27, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Your ideas are quite worldly and coherent, please continue.

16. xjokerz - Dec 27, 2012 at 9:25 AM

don cheery needs to take that mountainer stick out of his ass….typical Canadian trash. go back to being the worlds butterflies.

• kirkmcleansbaby - Dec 27, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Right, I forgot that starting wars made you sooo much better than us Canadian ‘butterflies’! I guess Canada should pull out our ‘butterflies’ from the war that AMERICANS STARTED and leave all your troops over there to fend for themselves……..because you wouldn’t want ‘butterflies’ looking out for you would you!?! *facepalm*

Top 10 NHL Player Searches