Dec 25, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
The 2012 playoffs had more than their fair share of controversial hits, but none sparked more emotions than Raffi Torres‘ blow to the head of Marian Hossa in Game 3 of the Phoenix Coyotes’ first round series against the Chicago Blackhawks:
Hossa was diagnosed with a concussion and was only recently medically cleared to play. But in the immediate aftermath of the hit, it remained to be seen how rookie disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan would react.
A suspension seemed all-but inevitable, even though Torres wasn’t assessed a penalty on the play. TSN’s Bob McKenzie called the hit “illegal on so many levels.”
“It is charging,” McKenzie said. “It is interference (late). It is a targeted head shot where he launches upward. The hit caused significant injury. The player (Torres) is a repeat offender in every sense of the term.”
Chicago’s Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy even weighed in, calling Torres’ actions “borderline criminal.”
Shanahan ended up making an example out of Torres by handing him a precedent-setting 25-game suspension that, thanks to the lockout, still hasn’t been fully served.
Here’s Shanahan’s explanation of his initial decision:
Of course, that’s not the end of the story. While the NHL-owned Coyotes supported Shanahan’s decision, the NHLPA rose to Torres’ defense, claiming that the length of the suspension was “excessive and arbitrary.”
The union even reportedly asserted that Torres’ hearing “violated the very basic requirements of a fair process.”
The NHLPA appeal went to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, who ultimately decided to reduce Torres’ suspension by four games. That means that there’s only eight contests left on his punishment when you factor in the 13 playoff games that he’s already missed.
Torres was getting ready to go into this season with the goal of trying to change his ways. Someday this lockout will end, he’ll serve what’s left on his suspension, and then get that chance.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
“I do look cross-eyed for sure.”
Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Patrick Roy made it official on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
There he is with Patrick Bordeleau’s glove in his face.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Physical battle starting to take its toll.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Are changes needed?
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 0
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 47
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 72
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)