Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
What a difference a year makes.
In 2011, Tim Thomas had the type of season most only dream of. He won the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina Trophy, becoming one of the most successful American netminders in NHL history.
Yeah, 2012 wasn’t so good for Timmy.
The year saw a Thomas embark on a bizarre sequence of events not even the most imaginative mind could’ve concocted.
In the span of January to June, he…
– Skipped the Bruins’ celebratory White House visit with President Obama.
– Explained his decision (via Facebook!), stating “I believe the federal government has grown out of control.”
– Refused to discuss his decision, saying “those are my personal beliefs,” and “it has nothing to do with hockey.”
– Posted a statement (via Facebook!) about standing “with the Catholics in the fight for religious freedom.”
– Confirmed reports (via Facebook!) he would take the 2012-13 season off, claiming he needed time away from hockey to “reconnect with the three F’s: Friends, Family and Faith.”
– Stated (via Facebook!) that he stood with Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy regarding his stance on marriage.
Just to re-iterate: All of that occurred within six months.
Despite this strange saga, it’s unlikely we’ve heard the last of Tim Thomas.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 8
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 8
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 23
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)