Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
What a difference a year makes.
In 2011, Tim Thomas had the type of season most only dream of. He won the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina Trophy, becoming one of the most successful American netminders in NHL history.
Yeah, 2012 wasn’t so good for Timmy.
The year saw a Thomas embark on a bizarre sequence of events not even the most imaginative mind could’ve concocted.
In the span of January to June, he…
— Skipped the Bruins’ celebratory White House visit with President Obama.
— Explained his decision (via Facebook!), stating “I believe the federal government has grown out of control.”
— Refused to discuss his decision, saying “those are my personal beliefs,” and “it has nothing to do with hockey.”
— Posted a statement (via Facebook!) about standing “with the Catholics in the fight for religious freedom.”
— Confirmed reports (via Facebook!) he would take the 2012-13 season off, claiming he needed time away from hockey to “reconnect with the three F’s: Friends, Family and Faith.”
— Stated (via Facebook!) that he stood with Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy regarding his stance on marriage.
Just to re-iterate: All of that occurred within six months.
Despite this strange saga, it’s unlikely we’ve heard the last of Tim Thomas.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)