Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
What a difference a year makes.
In 2011, Tim Thomas had the type of season most only dream of. He won the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina Trophy, becoming one of the most successful American netminders in NHL history.
Yeah, 2012 wasn’t so good for Timmy.
The year saw a Thomas embark on a bizarre sequence of events not even the most imaginative mind could’ve concocted.
In the span of January to June, he…
— Skipped the Bruins’ celebratory White House visit with President Obama.
— Explained his decision (via Facebook!), stating “I believe the federal government has grown out of control.”
— Refused to discuss his decision, saying “those are my personal beliefs,” and “it has nothing to do with hockey.”
— Posted a statement (via Facebook!) about standing “with the Catholics in the fight for religious freedom.”
— Confirmed reports (via Facebook!) he would take the 2012-13 season off, claiming he needed time away from hockey to “reconnect with the three F’s: Friends, Family and Faith.”
— Stated (via Facebook!) that he stood with Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy regarding his stance on marriage.
Just to re-iterate: All of that occurred within six months.
Despite this strange saga, it’s unlikely we’ve heard the last of Tim Thomas.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)