Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
What a difference a year makes.
In 2011, Tim Thomas had the type of season most only dream of. He won the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina Trophy, becoming one of the most successful American netminders in NHL history.
Yeah, 2012 wasn’t so good for Timmy.
The year saw a Thomas embark on a bizarre sequence of events not even the most imaginative mind could’ve concocted.
In the span of January to June, he…
– Skipped the Bruins’ celebratory White House visit with President Obama.
– Explained his decision (via Facebook!), stating “I believe the federal government has grown out of control.”
– Refused to discuss his decision, saying “those are my personal beliefs,” and “it has nothing to do with hockey.”
– Posted a statement (via Facebook!) about standing “with the Catholics in the fight for religious freedom.”
– Confirmed reports (via Facebook!) he would take the 2012-13 season off, claiming he needed time away from hockey to “reconnect with the three F’s: Friends, Family and Faith.”
– Stated (via Facebook!) that he stood with Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy regarding his stance on marriage.
Just to re-iterate: All of that occurred within six months.
Despite this strange saga, it’s unlikely we’ve heard the last of Tim Thomas.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)