Dec 25, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
What a difference a year makes.
In 2011, Tim Thomas had the type of season most only dream of. He won the Stanley Cup, the Conn Smythe and the Vezina Trophy, becoming one of the most successful American netminders in NHL history.
Yeah, 2012 wasn’t so good for Timmy.
The year saw a Thomas embark on a bizarre sequence of events not even the most imaginative mind could’ve concocted.
In the span of January to June, he…
– Skipped the Bruins’ celebratory White House visit with President Obama.
– Explained his decision (via Facebook!), stating “I believe the federal government has grown out of control.”
– Refused to discuss his decision, saying “those are my personal beliefs,” and “it has nothing to do with hockey.”
– Posted a statement (via Facebook!) about standing “with the Catholics in the fight for religious freedom.”
– Confirmed reports (via Facebook!) he would take the 2012-13 season off, claiming he needed time away from hockey to “reconnect with the three F’s: Friends, Family and Faith.”
– Stated (via Facebook!) that he stood with Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy regarding his stance on marriage.
Just to re-iterate: All of that occurred within six months.
Despite this strange saga, it’s unlikely we’ve heard the last of Tim Thomas.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 0
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 7
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)