Dec 25, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
When Steven Stamkos potted his 60th goal in the Tampa Bay Lightning’s final game of the season, it capped off what’s become a rare feat in today’s NHL. And just for good measure, he did it with an injured shoulder.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Sure we might remember when Alex Ovechkin scored 65 back in 2007-08 for the Capitals, but to find the next most recent 60-plus goal season, you have to go back to 1995-96 when Mario Lemieux buried 69 and his Pittsburgh teammate Jaromir Jagr got 62.
Had it not been for the lockout in 1994-95 that led to a shortened schedule, the NHL very well could’ve had 60-goal scorers each season from 1980-81 all the way til Lemieux’s 69-goal campaign. Now it’s only happened twice since then — an accomplishment Stamkos knows is rare.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 3
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 32
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)