Dec 25, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have managed to shake off serious financial worries while succeeding on the ice ever since Dave Tippett took over behind the bench in 2009, but the 2011-12 season represented their most improbable run yet.
Instead of sliding after Ilya Bryzgalov took his tiger-fearing act to Philly, the Coyotes advanced beyond the first round for the first time since they moved to Phoenix and made the franchise’s first conference finals appearance.
Let’s take a look back at some of the standout moments from that surprising run.
Hits and ‘Hawks
Phoenix began its run by dispatching the Chicago Blackhawks in a six-game series that will be remembered for a few major storylines:
- Mike Smith grossly outplaying Corey Crawford.
- Raffi Torres‘ controversial hit on Marian Hossa, which prompted what was initially a 25-game suspension.
- The Coyotes won in six games, but it was a thrilling series rife with last-minute comebacks.
Prevailing against Predators
Smith went up against Pekka Rinne – aka the goalie who will carry the league’s highest cap hit – and played so well in that five-game series that even Rinne raved about someone who could be Canada’s next Olympic netminder.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
A painful ending
The series ended in a stunning turn of events in overtime of Game 5. First, Dustin Brown delivered a controversial knee-to-knee hit on Michal Rozsival, angering the ‘Yotes enough to make the handshake line awkward.
Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milbury didn’t pull punches in debating that check, as you can see:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Just moments later, Dustin Penner ended the Coyotes’ longest playoff run ever with an overtime game-winner.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Even with a finish that likely left a sour taste in the Coyotes’ mouths, the playoffs were still a smash success for the struggling franchise. The team even became a front page story – and it wasn’t because of their money troubles, for once.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)