Dec 25, 2012, 9:30 AM EDT
When Sidney Crosby went on the shelf in early January 2011, few expected him to need until late November to return. The Pittsburgh Penguins star was worth the wait, though, as he made a bombastic return – and then did it again after another setback.
Let’s reminisce about his triumphant comeback(s) from concussions.
One of Crosby’s four points came on his first shot – and second shift – against the Isles:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Crosby indeed left Pierre McGuire and Jeremy Roenick flabbergasted after that memorable night:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Overall, Crosby produced two goals and 10 assists in an eight-game span that ended with a Dec. 5 game against the Boston Bruins when his concussion issues resurfaced after a collision with David Krejci. Crosby eventually returned to the injured reserve on Dec. 12.
For a while, Crosby was piling up far more assists than goals, but that didn’t stop him from becoming the seventh-youngest player to hit the 600-point mark on March 30.
Sid the Kid’s second regular season set of games was truly impressive; he scored six goals and 19 assists in 25 games to finish the season. Overall, he had eight goals and 29 assists for 37 points in just 22 regular season games.
A wild (and ugly) postseason
Crosby’s production in a 4-2 series loss to the Philadelphia Flyers was just fine, particularly on paper. He had eight points – all in the first four contests.
Those matches often brought out the dark side of Crosby and the Penguins. Here’s some video evidence:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Overall, Crosby has shown that he can return with aplomb. Just imagine how he’ll react to coming back from a lockout, not injuries …
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)