Dec 24, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
Expectations are very high for Team Canada going into the 2013 World Junior Championship. Their roster is littered with top-tier prospects and others that, if not for the lockout, would probably be busy playing in the NHL.
Still, the United States has a strong squad that should play hard against Canada.
“The Americans? Big. Really big. I couldn’t believe how big they are looking at the roster,” said Team Canada’s head scout Kevin Prendergast, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
“It’s going. From our standpoint, we’re going to have to turn the cheek a few times against them, but overall I think our skill is better than their skill.”
“I look at our back end as a whole; I think there’s a lot of guys that can fit that mold,” Team USA coach Phil Housley said. “Certainly Grzelcyk, Gostisbehere and [Mike] Reilly, they have that uncanny ability to jump up in the play.”
America’s defense will also include two former first-round picks in Jacob Trouba and Connor Murphy, as well as Seth Jones, who should go very early in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Team USA and Canada will face each other on Dec. 30.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)