Dec 24, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
Expectations are very high for Team Canada going into the 2013 World Junior Championship. Their roster is littered with top-tier prospects and others that, if not for the lockout, would probably be busy playing in the NHL.
Still, the United States has a strong squad that should play hard against Canada.
“The Americans? Big. Really big. I couldn’t believe how big they are looking at the roster,” said Team Canada’s head scout Kevin Prendergast, according to the Ottawa Citizen.
“It’s going. From our standpoint, we’re going to have to turn the cheek a few times against them, but overall I think our skill is better than their skill.”
“I look at our back end as a whole; I think there’s a lot of guys that can fit that mold,” Team USA coach Phil Housley said. “Certainly Grzelcyk, Gostisbehere and [Mike] Reilly, they have that uncanny ability to jump up in the play.”
America’s defense will also include two former first-round picks in Jacob Trouba and Connor Murphy, as well as Seth Jones, who should go very early in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Team USA and Canada will face each other on Dec. 30.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 28
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 88
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 100
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (100)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (100)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)