Dec 24, 2012, 10:10 PM EST
Team Russia has the advantage of being the host country in the upcoming 2013 World Junior Championship, but that’s certainly not the only thing they have going for them.
Russia announced its finalized roster for the upcoming tournament and it looks very impressive.
“Russia is always strong and this year’s team is as strong as the gold medal-winning group two years ago,” NHL Director of European Scouting, Goran Stubb, told NHL.com. “The goaltending is better now.”
Nail Yakupov and Mikhail Grigorenko will headline the squad after helping the country earn a silver medal last year. Yakupov and Grigorenko were selected with the first and 12th picks respectively in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Andrei Vasilevski, who the Tampa Bay Lightning took with the 19th overall selection in 2012, will also be returning after posting a 2.01 GAA and .953 save percentage in last year’s tournament.
Hockey fans might also want to keep an eye on Valeri Nichushkin. NHL Central Scouting ranked him first among Russian skaters eligible for the 2013 draft.
“He’s a big, strong two-way winger,” Stubb said. “He’s tough to stop when driving to the net from either wing — a defenseman’s nightmare in one-on-one situations when at top speed. He handles the puck well in traffic, makes good decisions in those situations. Has a high overall skill level and moves well for a big guy. Smooth hands. Good playmaker.”
Russia will play against the United States on Dec. 28 and Canada on Dec. 31.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)