Dec 24, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
Concussions and controversial hits have faded into the background thanks to the lockout, but head injuries are still a major concern and storyline in modern sports.
Filmmaker Steve James (of “Hoop Dreams” fame) decided to tackle the issue of concussions in his 2011 documentary “Head Games,” which includes prominent appearances from Brendan Shanahan and Keith Primeau.*
The documentary leans heaviest toward the NFL and football in general, but the NHL’s issues – and measures to make changes – also surface frequently. Some of the clips and photos might bring back some tough memories, as the movie shows memorable checks such as Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty and also discusses the deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Bob Probert.
Yet even though James’ documentary brings up some difficult questions for hockey and sports in general, James told NHL.com that the league has been progressive in many areas.
“I do think all the sports have a ways to go in terms of how they handle rules and discussions around concussions, but the NHL has certainly been more forward-thinking on this issue than football,” James said.
” … I think the fact that Brendan Shanahan has taken that role and taken it very seriously is a very positive thing. Daly was obvious and candid about the League’s view [in the film]. He basically said there is going to be brain injuries, no way around it. I think it was great he was willing to state it.”
You can read a little more about it – including Primeau’s emotional presence in the film - in NHL.com’s article or check out the movie via various outlets. (It’s on Netflix Instant Queue, for instance.)
* -You might not be as excited to see Bill Daly thanks to his prominence in the CBA discussions, but he makes a cameo, too.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
There was some controversy surrounding the goal.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:02 AM EST
Thursday’s collection of links.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
Nine suspensions totaling 38 games, with more likely on the way.
Dec 19, 2013, 12:55 AM EST
If all goes well, he could be back on Dec. 27, according to Fletcher.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
Pittsburgh’s forward got a penalty.
Dec 18, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
New York comes back but can’t get two points.
Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
It’s not a concussion.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Could the World Junior tournament be next?
Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
Veteran forward had been playing in AHL Grand Rapids.
Dec 18, 2013, 8:29 PM EST
Should be the first of many, based on his junior career.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
He hasn’t played since Nov. 30.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
“It is home.”
Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
Plans are for him to rejoin the team in Winnipeg on Dec. 27.
Dec 18, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
“If they’re waiting for a coaching change, they’re going to be waiting a long time.”
Dec 18, 2013, 5:24 PM EST
Already has 22 goals this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Goaltending has been an issue for the Devils this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Last played in the NHL back in 2005-06.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 10
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 33
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 27
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 40
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)