Dec 24, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Concussions and controversial hits have faded into the background thanks to the lockout, but head injuries are still a major concern and storyline in modern sports.
Filmmaker Steve James (of “Hoop Dreams” fame) decided to tackle the issue of concussions in his 2011 documentary “Head Games,” which includes prominent appearances from Brendan Shanahan and Keith Primeau.*
The documentary leans heaviest toward the NFL and football in general, but the NHL’s issues – and measures to make changes – also surface frequently. Some of the clips and photos might bring back some tough memories, as the movie shows memorable checks such as Zdeno Chara‘s hit on Max Pacioretty and also discusses the deaths of Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien and Bob Probert.
Yet even though James’ documentary brings up some difficult questions for hockey and sports in general, James told NHL.com that the league has been progressive in many areas.
“I do think all the sports have a ways to go in terms of how they handle rules and discussions around concussions, but the NHL has certainly been more forward-thinking on this issue than football,” James said.
” … I think the fact that Brendan Shanahan has taken that role and taken it very seriously is a very positive thing. Daly was obvious and candid about the League’s view [in the film]. He basically said there is going to be brain injuries, no way around it. I think it was great he was willing to state it.”
You can read a little more about it – including Primeau’s emotional presence in the film - in NHL.com’s article or check out the movie via various outlets. (It’s on Netflix Instant Queue, for instance.)
* -You might not be as excited to see Bill Daly thanks to his prominence in the CBA discussions, but he makes a cameo, too.
May 18, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The captain cares not for the rough stuff.
May 18, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
Flying through the air going five-hole? Yes.
May 18, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
It’s their first finals appearance since 1935.
May 18, 2013, 3:35 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 18, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT
Lineup shuffles are on the way.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Cap troubles and no-trade clauses abound.
May 18, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
He’ll need three months rehab for a third-degree MCL sprain.
May 18, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
A preview of today’s games is ahead.
May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Selke finalists show us how it’s done.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Drastic reduction in ice time in Game 2 compared to Game 1.
May 17, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Continue the debate.
May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sid the Kid nets three.
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 5
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 16
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2