Dec 24, 2012, 5:45 PM EDT
When this lockout ends, the task of winning back the fans will begin. That’s something of that should be of equal concern to both players and owners, especially if players’ salaries are once again tied to hockey-related revenues.
“Obviously you think about that kind of stuff,” said Pittsburgh’s Brooks Orpik in a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review report. “But the league, that‘s their side of things. They‘re the ones who need to worry about marketing. Our job is to play our best. We are the product. There is no league without us.”
Orpik added that the NHL’s public relations department will have plenty of work to do.
“The only way we can sell the game as players is to play as well as possible and to be accessible with the fans and media,” Orpik said. “But the rest is the league‘s job.”
Orpik ultimately thinks the Penguins will be fine, but he’s not as sure about non-traditional markets that enjoyed playoff runs like Phoenix and Florida.
“But it‘s not our job to worry about that,” Orpik concluded.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)