Dec 23, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Team USA’s roster for the World Junior Championships is nearly set.
Early this morning, the team announced they cut defenseman Brady Skjei (2012 Rangers first-round pick) and forward Stefan Matteau (2012 Devils first-round pick) to get the roster down to 24 players. They’re awaiting medical news to figure out which defenseman will be the final player cut before the tournament starts on December 26.
Reportedly, it’s Coyotes 2011 first-round pick Connor Murphy that they’re waiting on. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports he took a puck in the neck and If he’s healthy enough to go for the tournament, he’ll make the cut and head to Ufa.
In the meantime, USA Hockey announced defenseman Jake McCabe as the team captain (pictured). McCabe was the Buffalo Sabres’ second round pick in 2012. Earning the “A” were blue liners Jacob Trouba and Seth Miller as well as forwards Cole Bardreau and J.T. Miller.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 5
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 13
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 35
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 17
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)