Dec 23, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Team USA’s roster for the World Junior Championships is nearly set.
Early this morning, the team announced they cut defenseman Brady Skjei (2012 Rangers first-round pick) and forward Stefan Matteau (2012 Devils first-round pick) to get the roster down to 24 players. They’re awaiting medical news to figure out which defenseman will be the final player cut before the tournament starts on December 26.
Reportedly, it’s Coyotes 2011 first-round pick Connor Murphy that they’re waiting on. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports he took a puck in the neck and If he’s healthy enough to go for the tournament, he’ll make the cut and head to Ufa.
In the meantime, USA Hockey announced defenseman Jake McCabe as the team captain (pictured). McCabe was the Buffalo Sabres’ second round pick in 2012. Earning the “A” were blue liners Jacob Trouba and Seth Miller as well as forwards Cole Bardreau and J.T. Miller.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (73)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)