Dec 23, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Team USA’s roster for the World Junior Championships is nearly set.
Early this morning, the team announced they cut defenseman Brady Skjei (2012 Rangers first-round pick) and forward Stefan Matteau (2012 Devils first-round pick) to get the roster down to 24 players. They’re awaiting medical news to figure out which defenseman will be the final player cut before the tournament starts on December 26.
Reportedly, it’s Coyotes 2011 first-round pick Connor Murphy that they’re waiting on. TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports he took a puck in the neck and If he’s healthy enough to go for the tournament, he’ll make the cut and head to Ufa.
In the meantime, USA Hockey announced defenseman Jake McCabe as the team captain (pictured). McCabe was the Buffalo Sabres’ second round pick in 2012. Earning the “A” were blue liners Jacob Trouba and Seth Miller as well as forwards Cole Bardreau and J.T. Miller.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 3
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54