Dec 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EST
Semyon Varlamov returned to KHL action on Friday night after what might have been a knee injury.
The situation was a bit cloudy. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reported that it happened on Dec. 2, but noted that solid information was scarce. The Avalanche’s European fan site notes that Varlamov said he wasn’t injured, yet his KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl confirmed it.
That’s some odd stuff, but either way, the Russian netminder played well during his return on Friday, stopping 24 out of 25 shots in a 4-1 win against Yekaterinburg.
The confusion could be a matter of playing overseas. Then again, Varlamov might be deliberately clouding the situation because he’s dealt with knee problems in the past (as Dater notes).
Regardless, Varlamov has been playing well when he manages to suit up. So far, he’s 8-2-3 with an outstanding .952 save percentage and 1.58 GAA.
It all indicates that Varlamov could very well carry momentum into the season – CBA and health permitting.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)