Dec 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Semyon Varlamov returned to KHL action on Friday night after what might have been a knee injury.
The situation was a bit cloudy. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reported that it happened on Dec. 2, but noted that solid information was scarce. The Avalanche’s European fan site notes that Varlamov said he wasn’t injured, yet his KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl confirmed it.
That’s some odd stuff, but either way, the Russian netminder played well during his return on Friday, stopping 24 out of 25 shots in a 4-1 win against Yekaterinburg.
The confusion could be a matter of playing overseas. Then again, Varlamov might be deliberately clouding the situation because he’s dealt with knee problems in the past (as Dater notes).
Regardless, Varlamov has been playing well when he manages to suit up. So far, he’s 8-2-3 with an outstanding .952 save percentage and 1.58 GAA.
It all indicates that Varlamov could very well carry momentum into the season – CBA and health permitting.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)