Dec 23, 2012, 7:20 PM EDT
Semyon Varlamov returned to KHL action on Friday night after what might have been a knee injury.
The situation was a bit cloudy. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater reported that it happened on Dec. 2, but noted that solid information was scarce. The Avalanche’s European fan site notes that Varlamov said he wasn’t injured, yet his KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl confirmed it.
That’s some odd stuff, but either way, the Russian netminder played well during his return on Friday, stopping 24 out of 25 shots in a 4-1 win against Yekaterinburg.
The confusion could be a matter of playing overseas. Then again, Varlamov might be deliberately clouding the situation because he’s dealt with knee problems in the past (as Dater notes).
Regardless, Varlamov has been playing well when he manages to suit up. So far, he’s 8-2-3 with an outstanding .952 save percentage and 1.58 GAA.
It all indicates that Varlamov could very well carry momentum into the season – CBA and health permitting.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)