Dec 23, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
If the 2012-13 season is completely canceled, the NHLPA might attempt to replace some of the magic lost from the aborted 2013 Winter Classic.
Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reported on Thursday that the union is planning an outdoor game in February at Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada if the remainder of this season’s schedule is dashed.
Millard also describes how the seating arrangements would shake out:
The seating will be on shore but the players will skate on the lake on a regulation size rink with boards. No chasing pucks for miles! Lo—
Daren Millard (@darenmillard) December 20, 2012
The NHLPA and individual players opted not to comment about Millard’s report when contacted by the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak.
Sportak does paint a pretty picture of what the game might look like, though:
Talk about Canadiana at its best.
Imagine a hockey game … featuring NHL players … on Lake Louise.
That sounds almost as cool as those players skating in NHL arenas and playing in regular season and playoff games, doesn’t it?
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 6
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 48
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 39
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (46)