Dec 23, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
If the 2012-13 season is completely canceled, the NHLPA might attempt to replace some of the magic lost from the aborted 2013 Winter Classic.
Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reported on Thursday that the union is planning an outdoor game in February at Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada if the remainder of this season’s schedule is dashed.
Millard also describes how the seating arrangements would shake out:
The seating will be on shore but the players will skate on the lake on a regulation size rink with boards. No chasing pucks for miles! Lo—
Daren Millard (@darenmillard) December 20, 2012
The NHLPA and individual players opted not to comment about Millard’s report when contacted by the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak.
Sportak does paint a pretty picture of what the game might look like, though:
Talk about Canadiana at its best.
Imagine a hockey game … featuring NHL players … on Lake Louise.
That sounds almost as cool as those players skating in NHL arenas and playing in regular season and playoff games, doesn’t it?
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)