Dec 23, 2012, 6:55 PM EDT
If the 2012-13 season is completely canceled, the NHLPA might attempt to replace some of the magic lost from the aborted 2013 Winter Classic.
Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reported on Thursday that the union is planning an outdoor game in February at Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada if the remainder of this season’s schedule is dashed.
Millard also describes how the seating arrangements would shake out:
The seating will be on shore but the players will skate on the lake on a regulation size rink with boards. No chasing pucks for miles! Lo—
Daren Millard (@darenmillard) December 20, 2012
The NHLPA and individual players opted not to comment about Millard’s report when contacted by the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak.
Sportak does paint a pretty picture of what the game might look like, though:
Talk about Canadiana at its best.
Imagine a hockey game … featuring NHL players … on Lake Louise.
That sounds almost as cool as those players skating in NHL arenas and playing in regular season and playoff games, doesn’t it?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)