Dec 23, 2012, 6:55 PM EST
If the 2012-13 season is completely canceled, the NHLPA might attempt to replace some of the magic lost from the aborted 2013 Winter Classic.
Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reported on Thursday that the union is planning an outdoor game in February at Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada if the remainder of this season’s schedule is dashed.
Millard also describes how the seating arrangements would shake out:
The seating will be on shore but the players will skate on the lake on a regulation size rink with boards. No chasing pucks for miles! Lo—
Daren Millard (@darenmillard) December 20, 2012
The NHLPA and individual players opted not to comment about Millard’s report when contacted by the Calgary Sun’s Randy Sportak.
Sportak does paint a pretty picture of what the game might look like, though:
Talk about Canadiana at its best.
Imagine a hockey game … featuring NHL players … on Lake Louise.
That sounds almost as cool as those players skating in NHL arenas and playing in regular season and playoff games, doesn’t it?
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)