Dec 23, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT
KHL president Alexander Medvedev wasn’t shy about bashing the NHL for what he believes is an “egotistical” move to roll with another lengthy lockout, R-Sport reports.
“No one knows how the league will behave in his situation,” Medvedev said. “But it’s all generally showing how egotistical the NHL is. Financial issues trump the development of the game for them. But at the same time, this will all hit their pockets anyway.”
Of course, these comments could seem foolish in hindsight if Medvedev’s own league suffers a work stoppage. The KHL president was adamant that wouldn’t happen, however.
“No, we’re not that kind of league, because while we might have arguments with the players unions, we always think about the hockey first of all, and about everything else later,” Medvedev said.
Running (arguably?) the NHL’s greatest rival league naturally inspires a competitive desire, but if nothing else, his league has benefited from the lockout. Stars like Evgeni Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk and Alex Ovechkin wouldn’t normally spend months playing in the KHL league, after all.
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
Just to review, here are the other major figures who’ve bashed the lockout recently:
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)