Dec 23, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Evander Kane‘s money-soaked photo ended up being even bigger than Mike Commodore’s similar offense – leaving many to criticize the timing and taste – but Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” on Twitter today.
Here’s the bulk of his comments:
“Evander Kane, my buddy, is in a little hot water for having a picture taken of him with a ton of money letting on he’s on the phone with the money at his ear and then posting it on the Internet,” Cherry wrote. “People are upset that he’s fooling around showing all that money in a time when the players are supposed to be hurting. I say give the kid a break. He was just letting on what Floyd Mayweather did at a press conference where Floyd help up a lot of money to his ear and let on he was talking to it. Besides, the picture was taken a long time ago. It’s an example of how dangerous the Internet can be …”
(In case you’re wondering, yes, Kane is Canadian. He’s a Vancouver native.)
Cherry did give Kane some advice beyond respecting the power of the worldwide web.
” … But I got to say Evander, I just hope the tax guys weren’t watching,” Cherry wrote.
That’s a good thing to think about – just one buddy to another.
Here’s the photo in question, by the way:
(H/T to CBC.)
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)