Dec 23, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Evander Kane‘s money-soaked photo ended up being even bigger than Mike Commodore’s similar offense – leaving many to criticize the timing and taste – but Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” on Twitter today.
Here’s the bulk of his comments:
“Evander Kane, my buddy, is in a little hot water for having a picture taken of him with a ton of money letting on he’s on the phone with the money at his ear and then posting it on the Internet,” Cherry wrote. “People are upset that he’s fooling around showing all that money in a time when the players are supposed to be hurting. I say give the kid a break. He was just letting on what Floyd Mayweather did at a press conference where Floyd help up a lot of money to his ear and let on he was talking to it. Besides, the picture was taken a long time ago. It’s an example of how dangerous the Internet can be …”
(In case you’re wondering, yes, Kane is Canadian. He’s a Vancouver native.)
Cherry did give Kane some advice beyond respecting the power of the worldwide web.
” … But I got to say Evander, I just hope the tax guys weren’t watching,” Cherry wrote.
That’s a good thing to think about – just one buddy to another.
Here’s the photo in question, by the way:
(H/T to CBC.)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32