Dec 23, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Evander Kane‘s money-soaked photo ended up being even bigger than Mike Commodore’s similar offense – leaving many to criticize the timing and taste – but Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” on Twitter today.
Here’s the bulk of his comments:
“Evander Kane, my buddy, is in a little hot water for having a picture taken of him with a ton of money letting on he’s on the phone with the money at his ear and then posting it on the Internet,” Cherry wrote. “People are upset that he’s fooling around showing all that money in a time when the players are supposed to be hurting. I say give the kid a break. He was just letting on what Floyd Mayweather did at a press conference where Floyd help up a lot of money to his ear and let on he was talking to it. Besides, the picture was taken a long time ago. It’s an example of how dangerous the Internet can be …”
(In case you’re wondering, yes, Kane is Canadian. He’s a Vancouver native.)
Cherry did give Kane some advice beyond respecting the power of the worldwide web.
” … But I got to say Evander, I just hope the tax guys weren’t watching,” Cherry wrote.
That’s a good thing to think about – just one buddy to another.
Here’s the photo in question, by the way:
(H/T to CBC.)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 15
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)