Dec 23, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Evander Kane‘s money-soaked photo ended up being even bigger than Mike Commodore’s similar offense – leaving many to criticize the timing and taste – but Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” on Twitter today.
Here’s the bulk of his comments:
“Evander Kane, my buddy, is in a little hot water for having a picture taken of him with a ton of money letting on he’s on the phone with the money at his ear and then posting it on the Internet,” Cherry wrote. “People are upset that he’s fooling around showing all that money in a time when the players are supposed to be hurting. I say give the kid a break. He was just letting on what Floyd Mayweather did at a press conference where Floyd help up a lot of money to his ear and let on he was talking to it. Besides, the picture was taken a long time ago. It’s an example of how dangerous the Internet can be …”
(In case you’re wondering, yes, Kane is Canadian. He’s a Vancouver native.)
Cherry did give Kane some advice beyond respecting the power of the worldwide web.
” … But I got to say Evander, I just hope the tax guys weren’t watching,” Cherry wrote.
That’s a good thing to think about – just one buddy to another.
Here’s the photo in question, by the way:
(H/T to CBC.)
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 10
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 23
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 12
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 55
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39