Dec 23, 2012, 5:30 PM EDT
Evander Kane‘s money-soaked photo ended up being even bigger than Mike Commodore’s similar offense – leaving many to criticize the timing and taste – but Don Cherry stood up for his “buddy” on Twitter today.
Here’s the bulk of his comments:
“Evander Kane, my buddy, is in a little hot water for having a picture taken of him with a ton of money letting on he’s on the phone with the money at his ear and then posting it on the Internet,” Cherry wrote. “People are upset that he’s fooling around showing all that money in a time when the players are supposed to be hurting. I say give the kid a break. He was just letting on what Floyd Mayweather did at a press conference where Floyd help up a lot of money to his ear and let on he was talking to it. Besides, the picture was taken a long time ago. It’s an example of how dangerous the Internet can be …”
(In case you’re wondering, yes, Kane is Canadian. He’s a Vancouver native.)
Cherry did give Kane some advice beyond respecting the power of the worldwide web.
” … But I got to say Evander, I just hope the tax guys weren’t watching,” Cherry wrote.
That’s a good thing to think about – just one buddy to another.
Here’s the photo in question, by the way:
(H/T to CBC.)
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 12
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28