Dec 22, 2012, 9:44 PM EST
We’ve seen plenty of locked-out forwards and defensemen on the ice for European squads, but it’s harder for goalies to find work. Edmonton Oilers goaltender Devan Dubnyk hasn’t played in an NHL, European, or even charity game since April 7.
That might change soon, given that he’s been put on Team Canada’s roster for the upcoming Spengler Cup.
“I’m a little bit nervous thinking about it,” said Dubnyk in an Edmonton Journal report.
“But, this is a great chance to get some game action or at least some good practices. I’ve been to the Spengler Cup before in my rookie pro season, when I was playing in Stockton, myself and Justin Pogge, and it’s a unique experience. It’s a great tournament.”
He’ll be joined by Los Angeles Kings goaltender Jonathan Bernier and Dubnyk wasn’t sure how the netminding duties would be divided.
The six-team tournament will take place from Dec. 26 to Dec. 31.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 10
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 13
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 25
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 6
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)