Dec 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks prospect Alex Stalock was sidelined for a year after a freak accident led to a nerve behind his knee getting sliced. As bad as it was, Stalock admitted that he’s “lucky it wasn’t worse,” according to CSN Bay Area.
The injury could have marked the end of Stalock’s career at the age of 23 and with only one NHL game under his belt. Fortunately, he’s recovered and gotten comfortable making regular starts at the AHL level.
“It was just getting over the mental hump of not having that in the back of your head,” Stalock said. “That was the part that was the hardest to get over, and now, I don’t even really think about it much anymore. I’m beyond that point.”
Stalock has a 10-5-1 record, 2.66 GAA, and .909 save percentage in 17 games with the AHL Worcester Sharks in 2012-13.
Even if the lockout ends soon, it would probably take an injury to Antti Niemi or Thomas Greiss for Stalock to get called up to San Jose this season. However, Greiss is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and sooner or later, Stalock should get another chance in the NHL.
Until then, he’ll continue to use his one game with the San Jose Sharks as motivation as he moves forward.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)