Dec 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
San Jose Sharks prospect Alex Stalock was sidelined for a year after a freak accident led to a nerve behind his knee getting sliced. As bad as it was, Stalock admitted that he’s “lucky it wasn’t worse,” according to CSN Bay Area.
The injury could have marked the end of Stalock’s career at the age of 23 and with only one NHL game under his belt. Fortunately, he’s recovered and gotten comfortable making regular starts at the AHL level.
“It was just getting over the mental hump of not having that in the back of your head,” Stalock said. “That was the part that was the hardest to get over, and now, I don’t even really think about it much anymore. I’m beyond that point.”
Stalock has a 10-5-1 record, 2.66 GAA, and .909 save percentage in 17 games with the AHL Worcester Sharks in 2012-13.
Even if the lockout ends soon, it would probably take an injury to Antti Niemi or Thomas Greiss for Stalock to get called up to San Jose this season. However, Greiss is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and sooner or later, Stalock should get another chance in the NHL.
Until then, he’ll continue to use his one game with the San Jose Sharks as motivation as he moves forward.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 25
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)