Dec 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
San Jose Sharks prospect Alex Stalock was sidelined for a year after a freak accident led to a nerve behind his knee getting sliced. As bad as it was, Stalock admitted that he’s “lucky it wasn’t worse,” according to CSN Bay Area.
The injury could have marked the end of Stalock’s career at the age of 23 and with only one NHL game under his belt. Fortunately, he’s recovered and gotten comfortable making regular starts at the AHL level.
“It was just getting over the mental hump of not having that in the back of your head,” Stalock said. “That was the part that was the hardest to get over, and now, I don’t even really think about it much anymore. I’m beyond that point.”
Stalock has a 10-5-1 record, 2.66 GAA, and .909 save percentage in 17 games with the AHL Worcester Sharks in 2012-13.
Even if the lockout ends soon, it would probably take an injury to Antti Niemi or Thomas Greiss for Stalock to get called up to San Jose this season. However, Greiss is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and sooner or later, Stalock should get another chance in the NHL.
Until then, he’ll continue to use his one game with the San Jose Sharks as motivation as he moves forward.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)