Dec 22, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
San Jose Sharks prospect Alex Stalock was sidelined for a year after a freak accident led to a nerve behind his knee getting sliced. As bad as it was, Stalock admitted that he’s “lucky it wasn’t worse,” according to CSN Bay Area.
The injury could have marked the end of Stalock’s career at the age of 23 and with only one NHL game under his belt. Fortunately, he’s recovered and gotten comfortable making regular starts at the AHL level.
“It was just getting over the mental hump of not having that in the back of your head,” Stalock said. “That was the part that was the hardest to get over, and now, I don’t even really think about it much anymore. I’m beyond that point.”
Stalock has a 10-5-1 record, 2.66 GAA, and .909 save percentage in 17 games with the AHL Worcester Sharks in 2012-13.
Even if the lockout ends soon, it would probably take an injury to Antti Niemi or Thomas Greiss for Stalock to get called up to San Jose this season. However, Greiss is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and sooner or later, Stalock should get another chance in the NHL.
Until then, he’ll continue to use his one game with the San Jose Sharks as motivation as he moves forward.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 15
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)