Dec 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
What started out as a stint on the sidelines while he had his wisdom teeth removed snowballed when he got strep throat and then a nasty stomach flu. The good news is that he’s almost ready to return.
Binghamton head coach Luke Richardson likes what he’s seen from Zibanejad as far as his skating, shot, and his faceoff skills go. At the same time, he’s asked Zibanejad “to make sure he plays a real good, complete, defensive game.”
Although he’s still a teenager, Zibanejad already had plenty of experience playing against men in the Swedish Elite League when he made his Ottawa Senators’ debut last season. Still, this AHL stint is giving him an opportunity to adapt to North America hockey while the lockout drags on.
Zibanejad might end up as part of Ottawa’s opening game roster if the season is saved.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 19
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 6
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 11
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4