Dec 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
What started out as a stint on the sidelines while he had his wisdom teeth removed snowballed when he got strep throat and then a nasty stomach flu. The good news is that he’s almost ready to return.
Binghamton head coach Luke Richardson likes what he’s seen from Zibanejad as far as his skating, shot, and his faceoff skills go. At the same time, he’s asked Zibanejad “to make sure he plays a real good, complete, defensive game.”
Although he’s still a teenager, Zibanejad already had plenty of experience playing against men in the Swedish Elite League when he made his Ottawa Senators’ debut last season. Still, this AHL stint is giving him an opportunity to adapt to North America hockey while the lockout drags on.
Zibanejad might end up as part of Ottawa’s opening game roster if the season is saved.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)