Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
Over the course of the lockout, Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin have been reunited while playing for the KHL’s Magnitogorsk Metallurg. This might not be the last time the two play together before Gonchar hangs up his skates.
Gonchar is in the last campaign of his three-year, $16.5 million contract with the Ottawa Senators, but Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero is interested in getting him back, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun’s league sources.
Of course, when this lockout ends and what Gonchar’s status is when it’s all over will be key determining factors. It’s possible that Shero will end up pursuing Gonchar as an unrestricted free agent.
Gonchar’s tenure with the Ottawa Senators didn’t start on a high note, but he did bounce back last season with 37 points in 74 games. He also averaged 22:15 minutes per contest and was a significant contributor for the Senators with the man advantage.
Getting Gonchar should be a plus for the Penguins from a leadership perspective. He’s a veteran voice that many member of the Penguins are already familiar with thanks to his last stint with the club. Malkin in particular would be thrilled after thanking Sergei Gonchar in particular during his Hart Trophy acceptance speech.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)