Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
Over the course of the lockout, Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin have been reunited while playing for the KHL’s Magnitogorsk Metallurg. This might not be the last time the two play together before Gonchar hangs up his skates.
Gonchar is in the last campaign of his three-year, $16.5 million contract with the Ottawa Senators, but Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero is interested in getting him back, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun’s league sources.
Of course, when this lockout ends and what Gonchar’s status is when it’s all over will be key determining factors. It’s possible that Shero will end up pursuing Gonchar as an unrestricted free agent.
Gonchar’s tenure with the Ottawa Senators didn’t start on a high note, but he did bounce back last season with 37 points in 74 games. He also averaged 22:15 minutes per contest and was a significant contributor for the Senators with the man advantage.
Getting Gonchar should be a plus for the Penguins from a leadership perspective. He’s a veteran voice that many member of the Penguins are already familiar with thanks to his last stint with the club. Malkin in particular would be thrilled after thanking Sergei Gonchar in particular during his Hart Trophy acceptance speech.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)