Dec 22, 2012, 11:03 PM EDT
Over the course of the lockout, Sergei Gonchar and Evgeni Malkin have been reunited while playing for the KHL’s Magnitogorsk Metallurg. This might not be the last time the two play together before Gonchar hangs up his skates.
Gonchar is in the last campaign of his three-year, $16.5 million contract with the Ottawa Senators, but Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero is interested in getting him back, according to Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun’s league sources.
Of course, when this lockout ends and what Gonchar’s status is when it’s all over will be key determining factors. It’s possible that Shero will end up pursuing Gonchar as an unrestricted free agent.
Gonchar’s tenure with the Ottawa Senators didn’t start on a high note, but he did bounce back last season with 37 points in 74 games. He also averaged 22:15 minutes per contest and was a significant contributor for the Senators with the man advantage.
Getting Gonchar should be a plus for the Penguins from a leadership perspective. He’s a veteran voice that many member of the Penguins are already familiar with thanks to his last stint with the club. Malkin in particular would be thrilled after thanking Sergei Gonchar in particular during his Hart Trophy acceptance speech.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)