Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big

Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Comments Off
Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.

Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.

“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”

Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.

Latest Posts
  1. Looking to make the leap: Ryan Spooner

Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Can he fit in well enough to embrace this opportunity?

2. Poll: How should Boston handle its cap crunch?

Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

marchboy Getty Images

Should they make a move or play hardball with free agents?

3. Nicklas Backstrom finally got his silver medal today

Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

backstromsilver

“I’m sleeping with it tonight.”

4. Report: Flames expected to try out Brookbank

Aug 29, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Nashville Predators Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks let him walk.

5. Report: Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit removed from court docket

Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Bertuzzi Moore

Was schedule for Ontario Superior Court Sept. 8

6. Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15

Aug 29, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Patrice Bergeron AP

A pair of hilarious ads to promote the game.

7. Under Pressure: David Krejci

Aug 29, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

David Krejci Getty Images

Heading into a contract year, lots on his shoulders.

8. Panthers’ Bolland to have jersey retired by junior team

Aug 29, 2014, 11:05 AM EDT

Dave Bolland Getty Images

Scored 135 goals and 299 points in four seasons with the London Knights.

9. Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal

Aug 29, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Justin Schultz Getty Images

Spent the past two seasons in Edmonton.

10. Bruins’ quiet summer could have an eventful finish

Aug 29, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT

JohnnyBoychuk Getty Images

Their cap situation and defensive logjam might lead them to make a trade.

11. Sarich opens up about scary cycling accident, aftermath

Aug 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

“It’s amazing how an accident like this puts things in perspective.”

12. It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT

Aug 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

NHL: Stanley Cup Playoffs-Detroit Red Wings at Boston Bruins Reuters

They won the Presidents’ Trophy, but fell in the second round.

13. Johnston: Teammates need to do more to help Crosby

Aug 28, 2014, 9:33 PM EDT

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

The new coach wants the Penguins to ‘lessen the load.’

14. Poll: Will the Sabres surprise critics this season?

Aug 28, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT

Tyler Myers Getty Images

They have a lot of players on their roster with something to prove.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches