Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big

Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EST

Comments Off
Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.

Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.

“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”

Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.

Latest Posts
  1. Kings defeat Habs in shootout to tighten up West playoff race

Mar 6, 2015, 1:36 AM EST

Marian Gaborik, Drew Doughty AP

Minnesota, Calgary and L.A. all win on Thursday.

2. Predators’ losing streak hits five games

Mar 5, 2015, 11:02 PM EST

Pekka Rinne, Michael Grabner AP

Brock Nelson scored the winner.

3. Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated)

Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”

4. Ovechkin (lower body) to miss first game of the season tonight

Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST

Washington Capitals v New York Islanders Getty Images

Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.

5. Bruins sign former WHL captain Justin Hickman

Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST

Seattle Thunderbirds v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.

6. (Video) PHT Extra: Why would Babcock leave the Wings now?

Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST

Mike Babcock Mike Babcock

He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”

7. Preds ‘out for a little revenge’ versus Isles

Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Taylor Beck, Anders Lee, Josh Bailey AP

Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.

8. Edler, Burrows, and Kassian expected back for Canucks, who ‘better be’ ready for Coyotes

Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST

AlexEdler Getty Images

“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”

Is there an issue with Babcock in Detroit?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches