Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big

Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Comments Off on Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big
Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.

Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.

“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”

Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.

Latest Posts
  1. Diaz to make postseason debut for Flames in Game 3

May 5, 2015, 1:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

Swiss blueliner hasn’t played since Apr. 2.

2. Mantha: ‘I need to work on a lot of aspects of my play’

May 5, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT

2013 NHL Draft Getty Images

Red Wings brass hoping a little “adversity” is good for the 2013 first-round pick.

3. Flames aren’t flinching about burning a year off of Bennett’s deal

May 5, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT

2014 NHL Draft - Portraits Getty Images

They’re facing down the dreaded 10th game tonight.

4. Sabres prospect Compher returning to Michigan

May 5, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT

University of Michigan v Michigan State Getty Images

The Big Ten’s freshman of the year in 2013-14 heads back to school.

5. Rick Nash: ‘A bounce would be nice’

May 5, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT

Rick Nash Getty Images

His baffling postseason struggles continued in Game 3.

6. Report: Oilers send Nurse to AHL for Calder Cup playoffs

May 5, 2015, 10:16 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Arizona Coyotes Getty Images

Rangy defenseman has enjoyed a hectic 2014-15 campaign.

7. Capitals’ third line stands out in Game 3

May 4, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Washington Capitals - Game Three Getty Images

Washington needs its bottom-six forwards to keep contributing in order to go deep into the playoffs.

8. Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead

May 4, 2015, 10:28 PM EDT

Braden Holtby Getty Images

It was his first shutout of the 2015 playoffs.

9. Colorado College, University of Denver will play at Coors Field

May 4, 2015, 9:40 PM EDT

Coors Field Getty Images

It’s part of the leadup to the Detroit vs. Colorado outdoor game.

10. Video: Capitals strike first on Beagle’s determination goal

May 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT

Beagle goal

Andre Burakovsky got his first career playoff point.

11. Shero aims to bolster Devils offensively

May 4, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT

Ray Shero Getty Images

“Without that, goaltending and team defense can only take you so far.”

12. WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals

May 4, 2015, 6:12 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptixndgwywu5y2yynznhztc4ndzloda5ownkmzfjyzyy AP

The series is tied at 1-1.

Stanley Cup playoff Round 2 preview