Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big

Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Comments Off on Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big
Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.

Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.

“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”

Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.

Latest Posts
  1. ’15 Draft prospect Connor wins USHL Player of the Year

May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

USA Blue v USA White - 2014 USA Hockey Junior Evaluation Camp Getty Images

After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.

2. Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’

May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Canadiens Rangers Hockey AP

Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.

3. Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue

May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Dan Bylsma AP

The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.

4. Report: Roy wants to bring Radulov to Colorado

May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT

Radulov AP

Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.

5. Terry Murray would ‘absolutely’ take job as Hakstol’s assistant

May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT

Buffalo Sabres v Los Angeles Kings Getty Images

Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.

6. Report: Gagne wants to resume playing career

May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Boston Bruins Getty Images

Spent part of last season with the Bruins

7. Report: Avs interested in Groulx, Farrish for assistant gig

May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT

Canada Training Sessions - 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship Getty Images

The former led Canada to gold at the most recent World Junior tourney.

8. Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery

May 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Nicklas Backstrom Getty Images

He’s expected to be ready for the start of training camp.

9. Getzlaf: ‘I was terrible’ in Game 6

May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT

Frederik Andersen, Jonathan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf AP

He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.

10. Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7

May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.

11. Video: Goalie interference? Silfverberg bumps Crawford on Stoner goal

May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT

Stoner goal

The Ducks might have caught a break there.

12. Video: Maroon stays hot in playoffs, gives Ducks hope

May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT

Maroon goal

He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.

13. Video: Saad comes up short in first frame, opens floodgates in second

May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT

Saad goal

Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.

14. Kings’ AHL team advances to Calder Cup Final

May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Jordan Weal Getty Images

Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.

End of an era coming for Blackhawks?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches