Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big

Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT

Comments Off on Montreal’s tip to Galchenyuk paying off big
Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.

Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.

“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”

Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.

Latest Posts
  1. Under pressure: Mike Johnston

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

Mike Johnston Getty Images

The Penguins are a win now team coming off of a quick first round exit.

2. Pittsburgh’s biggest question: Is the defense good enough?

Aug 27, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

“I’m fully aware that at some point in time we may have to address that position.”

3. Marty favor? Blues bringing Gomez to camp on PTO

Aug 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

The two have a bit of a history, as you may recall…

4. Poll: Will Kessel score 40?

Aug 27, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

The Toronto Maple hold their post season media availibility and team President Brendan Shanahan holds a press conference to answer questions Getty Images

It’s a benchmark he’s never hit before.

5. Looking to make the leap: Derrick Pouliot

Aug 27, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

The 21-year-old looks like he’ll be counted upon heavily.

6. Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance

Aug 27, 2015, 9:48 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

For a border incident that occurred in mid-June.

7. It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT

Aug 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Sidney Crosby AP

A first round exit has led to a busy summer.

8. Devils’ continue summer of change with more personnel moves

Aug 26, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Patrick Rissmiller Getty Images

Development coach Patrick Rissmiller is among New Jersey’s latest additions.

9. Erik Karlsson has an interesting take on (not) training

Aug 26, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT

Erik Karlsson AP

His conditioning comes on the ice, not in the weight room.

10. Sabres reach their season tickets cap with 96 percent renewal rate

Aug 26, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT

Jack Eichel Getty Images

Two terrible seasons didn’t dissuade fans expecting brighter days ahead.

11. Philadelphia Flyers ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 26, 2015, 5:11 PM EDT

Ottawa Senators v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Philadelphia has a great core, but does it have the depth?

12. Poll: Are the Flyers better off losing (a lot)?

Aug 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

Dave Hakstol AP

Tanking isn’t likely, yet may it be wise?

13. Flyers’ biggest question: Will patience persist?

Aug 26, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptk1zju5ndzhmjc1zwvlzjhkmtnhngi1ztbkyja4nwe5 AP

It would be wise to stick to Ron Hextall’s plan, but it’s not exactly Philly’s style.

14. Under pressure: Jakub Voracek

Aug 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

With big raises come big expectations.

15. Looking to make the leap: Shayne Gostisbehere

Aug 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Shayne Gostisbehere Getty Images

He’s part of Philadelphia’s wave of impressive young defensemen.

16. Penguins give Tom Sestito a tryout contract

Aug 26, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT

Kyle Chipchura, Tom Sestito AP

Can he impress in training camp?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches