Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.
“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”
Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)