Dec 22, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
When Alex Galchenyuk’s season started with the Sarnia Sting, he didn’t exactly get off to the kind of start befitting the third overall pick in the 2012 draft. The Montreal Canadiens had a tip for him to help get him going though. The team’s director of player development, Martin Lapointe, told him to shoot more.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette found out hears from Galchenyuk about how that advice has paid off.
“I know I have a pretty good shot and I know sometimes I can a shoot a bit more,” Galchenyuk said. “I also know I can make a pretty good play. I have good vision and I can make plays, but (Lapointe) said I should shoot more, so I listened and I’ve started scoring. The last 10 games I’m more of a shooter. I think I’m more dangerous when I have the puck and I see that opening.”
Those last few games have been huge as we shared with you last week. In his last 17 games with Sarnia, he has 19 goals and 40 points. While the Habs won’t pull him from the World Junior Championships if the lockout is settled before the end of the tournament, he’s ready to go if/when they come calling.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)