Dec 22, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
We haven’t heard a lot of direct sniping at NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman from any of the players in a while. Capitals forward Jason Chimera made sure to change that when he opened up to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
In a frustrated rant about how poorly CBA negotiations have gone, Chimera wondered aloud about what Bettman’s end-game is here.
“He seems to be bent on ruining the game. If that’s what he’s out to do he’s sure doing a good job of it,” Chimera said. “It’s disappointing. We’re willing to get a deal done and try to sit down and talk with no pre-conditions and they don’t want to talk… We want to sit down and they don’t want to meet at this point.”
On top of all that, Chimera believes the league is out to bury Donald Fehr.
“For whatever reason, they’re bent on making Don Fehr the big enemy. I don’t know if that’s Gary Bettman’s doing. I don’t know if he feels intimidated that he’s kind of met his match maybe because [Fehr] is as smart a guy as he is.
“I don’t know if he’s just [ticked] off and he has a personal vendetta against him. If you have a personal vendetta you’re ruining a lot of people’s lives and not just us.”
This kind of talk at this point in the process does nothing but distract from reaching the finish line. That said, with the players overwhelmingly supporting a move to disclaim interest, the end game is upon us one way or another. Some might call it, “put up or shut up” time.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 25
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 12
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)