Dec 22, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT
Jonathan Ericsson was supposed to earn $3.25 million this season while playing on a Detroit Red Wings’ blueline that had something to prove following the retirement of Nicklas Lidstrom. Instead, he’s spending his days participating in player workouts so that he’ll be as close to ready as possible if the season is saved.
Unfortunately, the NHL-NHLPA negotiations have been basically dead lately despite the fact that we’re rapidly approaching the mid-January deadline to save the season. Faced with that grim reality, staying upbeat can’t be easy.
“Am I doing this for a reason? The motivation goes up and down.”
Ericsson also tried to stay sharp with stints in Sweden earlier in the season. However, only ended up playing in three games with Vita Hasten of Sweden’s third-tier league and another four games Sodertalje of Sweden’s second-division. He left for tax reasons, but he was getting plenty of ice time while he was there.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 28
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 58
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte